VS or Dual-speed pump - help me decide!!

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I need a new pool pump to replace the dual-speed Hayward that I had. When I called my local pool shop to get a price on the same one, I was told about the Hayward VS ones (3-speed and 4-speed models). I know that they are probably trying to upsell, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. Hydro prices are very high in my area... currently 18 cents/kWh during on peak (day). I typically run the pump on low, except when the heater was being used. My kids (and me) like the pool very warm so I will have it run for quite a while to heat up the water.
I have read many posts recommending to just run it at night when hydro is cheapest or on a timer (which I don't have), but I'm not at the point where I feel comfortable with that. I'm sure that there's a lot of rationale behind it but somehow I feel better knowing that the water is constantly being circulated and filtered.
I don't understand all the math behind this so I would appreciate any insights to help me.
TIA!

I don't know about Canadian power companies, but many local US power companies will help you with rebates on power saving devices. Check that out and see if they can advise you.

Folks around here who have expensive power love their VS pumps. For those of us that electricity is cheap a two speed or one speed is fine.

You are probably running the pump longer than necessary for filtering, but its your money and running it 24/7 is always an option. If you're looking to save money though you can certainly scale that back some. Some VS pumps have their own timers built in to them, which is handy. Your SWG and heater will only work when the pump is working, of course.

Yippee :flower:

High Electricity cost- Get a VS and dont think twice about it. Many of us just love the flexibility even where power is cheaper. They do save money, but they are very nice to have. I have the Pentair, and can't say a bad word about it going into season four.

I don't know about Canadian power companies, but many local US power companies will help you with rebates on power saving devices. Check that out and see if they can advise you.

Folks around here who have expensive power love their VS pumps. For those of us that electricity is cheap a two speed or one speed is fine.

You are probably running the pump longer than necessary for filtering, but its your money and running it 24/7 is always an option. If you're looking to save money though you can certainly scale that back some. Some VS pumps have their own timers built in to them, which is handy. Your SWG and heater will only work when the pump is working, of course.

Yippee :flower:

No rebates on anything pool related here. At some point I may be ready to reduce pump run time, but having dealt with algae in the past I don't like messing with the pool once I've got it running perfectly.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you both for your advice!

Good news that you've got you pool under control. But, maintaining FC at the appropriate levels for your cya level is usually more important than pump run time. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

any recommendations on which one I should get? my pool store is recommending the hayward super pump or tri-star. i don't know if they sell other brands and they didn't mention the max-flo as an option. they are having a big weekend sale so I am considering going with them vs online choices. I don't much about pumps other than the basics that I was told and what I've read on the manufacturers websites.

The Maxflo and the Superpump are similar pumps. The Maxflo will probably be a little more efficient for your pool. The Maxflo is also available in a variable speed pump with a built in timer/controller. Another good pump is the Pentair Superflo which is a little more efficient than the Maxflo and is also available in a variable speed model with a built in controller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.