Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Maintaining a Clean Hot Tub (and dealing with negativity!)

1. Back To Top    #1

Maintaining a Clean Hot Tub (and dealing with negativity!)

So we have been excited about installing our new hot tub and of course have shared our news with friends and family. We've had some negative reactions, with most of the the comments being, 'do you know how disgusting those things are' or 'do you know how much bacteria are in those things' and my favorite 'you're going to regret not getting a Pool instead'

So the negative comments had me search online, and of course they list possible bacteria and illnesses associated with hot tubs. Other than the standard chemicals - can you recommend the best way to clean and maintain our new hot tub? I saw it's imperative to clean the jets...How do you do that? Also, what do you say to naysayers who make you feel like you made the wrong decision? Thanks for your help and support!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Maintaining a Clean Hot Tub (and dealing with negativity!)

Welcome to TFP mommy!

I just wanted to say welcome, and don't worry. There is plenty of help here to help you keep the spa nice, safe, and sanitary. We have a few options, and ,ots od spa folks will be here to help. Check out Pool School on maintaining your spa, and ask all the question here that you need too. Don't listen to the naysayers if you really want one. They can be made very nice much more easily than they ever imagined possible.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Maintaining a Clean Hot Tub (and dealing with negativity!)

Ahh-some is what I always recommend for cleaning/purging even a brand new hot tub. Go check out their website. Their chemistry is sound and you'll be amazed at how much gunk comes out of even a new hot tub. Note - Ahh-some is only a plumbing and jet cleaner, you still need to use an appropriate sanitizer for day-to-day needs.

As long as you maintain a properly sanitized body of water, your tub will bring you years of enjoyment. It takes a little bit work but it's not hard.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Be sure to read the appropriate sticky threads in this subforum for either chlorine or bromine sanitation. That should get you on the right path.

Make sure you have a good test kit, not strips. Strips aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Lol! Definitely upgrade from the strips! I use a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. You can use a TF-50.

I've been using this method to maintain my tub for 4 years or so now. It is easy and works great!
    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all very much! I'll definitely check other sections of the board for additional help! I'll also see what the dealer gives us and then whatever I don't get, I'll run and get the kit and Ahh-some if needed! I appreciate everyone being so supportive! Thanks!!!