Drained and refilled the pool

Mar 27, 2017
Round Rock, TX
Hi guys,
First time poster/pool rookie here.

This past weekend I drained my pool completely and refilled it back up.

I am now trying to look for what are the steps (and chronological order of the steps) I should be taking to balancing my water.

I assume I'll have to add some CYA.

I'm going to be testing the water soon and I'll post the results here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great. So first order of business:
- Increase CYA to an initial target of 40 using granular stabilizer and the sock-soaking method. When summer gets here, you will probably go a bit higher.
- For now, add some bleach just to get the FC up to about 3. Once the stabilizer is all dissolved, then increase FC to 5-7 and never let it drop below 3. I like HEB's Bravo (regular) beach, but Wal-Mart's Great Value works great too.
- Tomorrow, test the FC and CC again and hopefully the CC's will drop below 0.5.
- Your CH is a little below the minimum of 250, so you might even consider using some cal-hypo a few times just to bring it up. As the temps increase and you refill with hose water, I suspect the CH will climb as well.

Later, we can help you lower TA a bit, but for now I'd just focus on those things.

Alright! Plan is under execution. I have adjusted the chlorine level up to 3 with bleach. Will have to wait for the stabilizer to get here so I can start building that up.

Question - I have a chlorinator in which I have used these Clorox trichlor tablets (below). Should I keep using them here or just put them aside for now?

IMG_2403.jpg

We just found out from Clorox that those tablets contain copper, which can build up and cause staining of your pool surfaces and hair. While we're still not sure just how much copper they contain (the current consensus is that it's probably a very, very small amount), please be aware of that if you're going to use them. If you're going to save them to use once in a long while for when you're on vacation, and you're monitoring your CYA levels and upping the FC level to correspond to the increase, you're probably ok. We generally don't recommend using any solid chlorine product for "normal" day to day chlorination.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.