Solar cover reel suggestions

May 30, 2016
Wooster, ohio
We have a 28ft round above ground pool with a deck all the way around it (see picture). We don't have a heater on the pool currently and it gets mighty chilly (last year was our first year in this house - pool was already here but no solar cover was left with it). I know I need to get a 8mm solar cover but what type of reel should I get? I've seen DIYs, but nothing I've come across yet would work with our set up.

Suggestions? Anything to stay away from? Prefer something one adult can operate on their own (at least to remove).

Thanks!

Pool.jpg

you said you have seen a few DIY versions, did you see the one that mas985 built? That is what I have and it works well, HERE is a link to his thread

I haven't seen this one. Am I missing anything - it really just looks like a pipe with the cover attached. Is it pretty easy to roll up and pull out of the pool? I would think dragging it out with only one person would be cumbersome.

It is what it appears, as you said a pipe attached to the cover. It is surprisingly light and easy to handle the mainly because it is built in 2 sections cutting the wight in half, my wife has no problem removing it on her own. If anything it is ever so slightly more difficult to put on than take off, but that is because we have a free form pool and have various in and out curves to deal with, I would think a circle would not have that issue. Another added benefit is when it is just us and we are just lounging we leave half the pool covered and save some heat loss from evaporation. I think it would work espicaly well for your setup you could add a U shaped bracket just outside the deck rail to lay it on when rolled up so it is not on the deck in your way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.