15' AGP with Double suction Skimmer install questions.

Jul 17, 2014
Lexington, NC
Hello experts!

I purchased a 15' round AGP Ultra frame off craigslist to replace my old 15' AGP metal frame. I was only needing a liner but couldn't pass up the craigslist deal which was the complete pool with a second liner for the price of replacing my old liner. Anyway... The new pool came with double suction lines. I have a Hayward Sidewall skimmer from my old pool that I'm thinking of installing in place of the double suction. I actually have two questions. 1. What is the best and cheapest way to plug the suction holes? 2. Should I only plug one of the holes and use the other in conjunction with the skimmer or plug them both and use the skimmer only? I plan on using my 2500 gph pump from my old pool.

Thanks in advance!

Personally, I would want suction from the skimmer as well as another spot on the wall if you have enough pump for it. I dont guess one of the holes has threads by any chance?

Of course not... I installed my skimmer last night. I ended up closing off one of the intakes and then connected the other intake to the skimmer hose via a "T" plunger valve. I cutout the small intake hole and installed a larger intake with a plunger valve to close the one intake. You would think that someone would have a fitting or adapter that would make this process easier and cheaper than using a plunger valve. I also don't like the look of the plunger valve just sticking out there with nothing attached but I guess it doesn't matter. I will try to take some pictures this week and upload.

Another question: I'm thinking of getting the intex automatic pool vacuum. Anyone had any experience with these and if so any advice? Is it worth it for a 15' round pool? and if... I bought one should I run it off the extra intake or the skimmer?

Thanks!

I have the Intex robot and I love it. Prior to that, I used to manually vacuum every time prior to using the pool, which is almost daily in the summer. I only vacuumed once last year, and that was only because I felt like it. I was quite surprised how well it works, especially for $49 on Amazon.

I did have a little trouble with it stalling with my original 1600 gph pump, but after I upgraded to a 4500 gph pump, I had to install a valve to cut back on the flow or else the robot would do wheelies. A 2500 gph pump or larger should be perfect.

The Intex bot runs on the return (pressure) side of your pump, not the suction side. It comes with an adapter that screws it onto an Intex return eyeball, but because I have a Hayward eyeball (and the aforementioned wheelie issue) I built this PVC contraption which allows me to run the bot and the normal return simultaneously. The robot is attached to the hose on the left that runs over the top rail. I pretty much leave it in 24x7.

WP_20160417_18_12_34_Pro_zpscsevv5sq.jpg

I have the Intex robot and I love it. Prior to that, I used to manually vacuum every time prior to using the pool, which is almost daily in the summer. I only vacuumed once last year, and that was only because I felt like it. I was quite surprised how well it works, especially for $49 on Amazon.

I did have a little trouble with it stalling with my original 1600 gph pump, but after I upgraded to a 4500 gph pump, I had to install a valve to cut back on the flow or else the robot would do wheelies. A 2500 gph pump or larger should be perfect.

The Intex bot runs on the return (pressure) side of your pump, not the suction side. It comes with an adapter that screws it onto an Intex return eyeball, but because I have a Hayward eyeball (and the aforementioned wheelie issue) I built this PVC contraption which allows me to run the bot and the normal return simultaneously. The robot is attached to the hose on the left that runs over the top rail. I pretty much leave it in 24x7.

WP_20160417_18_12_34_Pro_zpscsevv5sq.jpg

The video link didn't work but otherwise thanks for the great insight. I think I'm going to bit the bullet and get one. I hate having to spend 20 mins vacuuming before being able to use the pool and I'm not near as impatient as my 7 year old daughter!

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't keep my son out long enough to finish vacuuming without him stirring everything up.

Update: "Rodrick" arrived yesterday and I got him hooked up yesterday evening. There was a lot of debris on the bottom of the pool when he started doing his thing. I checked on him this morning before heading to work and he had done a great job vacuuming while I slept! Hopefully he can keep up the good work through the summer and I can enjoy the pool more with my reduced maintenance level!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.