New pump selection dilema

altecm

Silver Supporter
Jul 27, 2015
Gulfport
Hi. Here is what I currently have:

18k gallon, inground, pool (concrete liner)
Intermac PE103 (dual speed digital timer)
Hayward SP3010x152az with sts1152r (2 speed pump)****the low speed is not working****
Haywood Aqua Rite Salt Gen with T-Cell-9
Tagelus TA-60/60D sand filter

I want/NEED to replace the pump. I am leaning towards a VS pump. In my research---a VS pump would eliminate the need for the timer. The Salt Gen is controlled by the timer. I haven't been able to clearly find how I would connect a VS pump to control the Salt Gen.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Looking to upgrade ASAP (tired of the single speed electric bill****low speed not working****)!!

TIA

Welcome altecm,

You have some options, and lots of folks with that equipment can answer you better than I. Just wanted to say welcome to the forum, and good luck on your project. Enjoy your time on TFP.

With a VS pump in stand alone mode like the oneI have (superflo VS) you can wire the pump to the power inside of your timer or right back to the breaker if you have a panel out at your equipment. The way I would do the timing is to leave the salt cell alone and let it operate the way it's working right now. When you program the timer built into the VS pump you simply program the pump to come up to speed about 5-10min before the salt cell timer kicks on and turn back down in speed about 5-10min after the salt cell kicks off.

There may be a way if you get the right Hayward pump to interface the pump and SWG together so that its all automated but I'm not very familiar with what they have to offer.

Thanks CJadamec and Jimrahbe. I believe I may have found a solution. My plan is to use a timer case that I have on hand. I will basically use it as a junction box. I will be routing 230V for the pump and the SG through the case. Internal to the case, I will be installing an adjustable current sensing relay (CSR), with a leg of the SG power across the no relay contacts. The current sense ring will go around L1 for the pump. I will probably have to find the min current, when the pump is at it's lowest setting and set the CSR to energize the relay when (allowing 230V to the SG). I am digging way back in my basic electronics skills, but this should work with minimum risk to damaging anything. If it doesn't, I will try CJ's setup. I want to be able to dial in my timing on the VSP and let SG on/off happen automatically. Planning to install this weekend. If it works, I will try to do rough drawings.

Again, thanks.

A,

Most people don't have the skills to do what you propose.. It is a great idea, and has been done before, but since it is not a "Plug and Play" device, that you can buy at the pool store, we tend to not recommend it for the average user.

Give it a shot, if it works well, provide us a schematic, and parts list so that everyone can use it.

Thanks for sharing,

Jim R.

I considered doing the same thing with a current sensing relay on the line side of my pump to control when my heat pump kicked on but ended up going the old mechanical timer route which controls an ice cube relay to trigger the 24v contact for my heat pump. That allows me to program the timer on the pump to come on before the heater and turn off after the heater. I could have done that with a time delay relay as well but the mechanical timer comes with its own watertight box. At the end of the day it was cheaper just to use the prebuilt timer.

If or when I get a SWG I may revisit the current relay idea again as a safety to make sure the SWG doesn't turn on without the pump running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.