my number one advice: get a good filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2016
Gainesville, FL
I don't think this point is emphasized enough in the pool school. About a year ago, as a new pool owner I thought clear water is all about chemistry. I had all the kits, I was measuring chemicals once a day, SLAMing regularly, calculating values, keeping things within .5 ppm of targets. I spent a lot of time and money, and my pool was at best cloudy and at worst green. Until I replaced my small, old cartridge filter with a big DE filter. BAM! since then I just add some chlorine every once in a while, test water maybe once every 3 weeks, and water is clear as mountain springs!

I don't think this point is emphasized enough in the pool school. About a year ago, as a new pool owner I thought clear water is all about chemistry. I had all the kits, I was measuring chemicals once a day, SLAMing regularly, calculating values, keeping things within .5 ppm of targets. I spent a lot of time and money, and my pool was at best cloudy and at worst green. Until I replaced my small, old cartridge filter with a big DE filter. BAM! since then I just add some chlorine every once in a while, test water maybe once every 3 weeks, and water is clear as mountain springs!
There should be no reason to "SLAM regularly".

Clear water has many meanings. Clear of algae & bacteria/virus is most definitely a chemical issue.

Clear of dirt and debris, all filter and brushing/vacuum habits.

If you pool is turning green with algae, you are not maintaining proper sanitizer levels, and or not brushing poor/low circulation areas.

You should be checking your water more frequently than once every 3 weeks, to just 'wing it' is somewhat reckless IMO.

I do agree that it is important to properly size your pump/filter to your pool. I'm sorry to hear that yours was not sized properly from the start.

My filter has an easy life. I haven't tried this, but I'd be willing to bet that I could bypass my filter 90% of the time, and/or only use it capture visible debris and my water would still remain algae-free.

I think it's much more about balancing chemicals and water circulation. My pool has very good circulation. If it didn't, I would up my brushing routine and pump runtime. I test and adjust chemicals everyday when the pool is warm and in-use. I can go 4-5 days when it's cool and not being used.

I wonder if you old cartridge filter was restricting water flow and that played a part in your regular need to SLAM...

Do you have a SWG? Is the pool completely shaded from the sun? I don't understand how you can go 3 weeks without testing and not have pretty significant swings in chemical levels.

The number one emphasis in swimming pool management is having ALL parts of the puzzle running correctly. Pumps, filters, chlorinating systems and an understanding of the chemistry all must be in synch for a pool to remain crystal clear and sanitary.

No filter will cure a Green Pool, nor a cloudy one if it gets that way from lack of Chlorine. (A most frequent cause)

If that works for you, fantastic, but it isn't a regimen we would suggest even to veteran pool owners. Rudimentary testing should be done much more often than every three weeks.

Your pictures do not prove anything of the kind. No filter will CURE an Algae problem. Sure, it will filter out some suspended Algae, but until you kill every last cell, it will continue to return, and grow in the pool. There is no credible Bilogist on the planet that would agree with what you are saying, but that doesnt really matter either.

What we know as absolute fact is that no filter for any pool will ever cause Algae to go away. It isn't up for debate, and there will be nothing in Pool School alluding to such nonsense. You are free to have all the success you want in your pool exactly as you wish. You can test every three weeks or never test the water, but it isn't advice we will recommend to anyone wanting a clean, safe, and sanitary pool.

I have no illusions about convincing you, but you will not continue posting this bogus information. This discussion is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.