CYA Testing

Apr 5, 2017
Owasso, OK
I purchased the tf100 online and amazingly got it the very next day. My pool was swamp green, I've been putting bleach and shock in it. Last night I put in like 4 gallons, today 0 chlorine. I've tried to do the CYA test 3 times now. I've been doing it indoors so no sunlight, but the dot never goes away. never. I'm headed to go get more bleach and probably my... acid. The water now is very cloudy blue.

Hey Jill! :wave: Welcome to TFP. Great job on the TF-100. :goodjob: Swamp green can be tricky at first. You'll go through lots of bleach for sure. First adjust the pH to 7.2 if it's not there already. Then you need to know the CYA - that is IF there is any remaining. So try this testing method:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Now here's the next important step. If you do NOT seem to have any CYA, then don't add any yet. Have some granular stabilizer (CYA) ready, but do the following first:
1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. If your CYA test is showing as zero (perhaps converted to ammonia), use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

Follow those steps first, and make sure to use the Poolmath calculator to assist you with proper dosage amounts of bleach, acid, and stabilizer when the time comes. Keep us posted. Have lots of regular bleach ready and we'll be watching to assist. Nice to have you with us.

Thank you soo much! I will get plenty of bleach ( I thought I had it pretty high but after what I put in last night and reading 0 today, UGH) How many gallons should I put in this evening? My PH tested fine earlier today but I need to get all the numbers. I've been putting in 4-5 gallons every other day this week. Pump running 24/7

If you find that your CYA truly is zero, follow that second set of instructions I listed above (testing FC at 10 every 10 min). At first, you'll test that water and add bleach frequently to maintain the FC level of 10, but once it stabilizes, usage will slow down. It's important to follow those steps (to the letter) and have about 10 or so gallons available at first. You might need more later, but that should get your started. Stay close to the pool and adjust FC as needed to "maintain" the FC level. If you're fortunate enough to have any bleach left over, you will use it in the next few days anyways. But I suspect you'll need more. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.