Understanding my swimming pool system before construction

Looks like a good start. Southwest is great for the solar panels. I would start the pool at 4' deep, not 3'. Hold a tape measure up to everyone to see how shallow 3' is.

What about automatic covers? I basically know they exist and that they have good properties as we have discussed earlier. I will now do more research on the forum to find out comments from users that have them. If anybody has direct experience that wants to share, please go ahead :D

We are Coverstar Autocover owners. For me it was just a feature that I was going to get, period. I also wanted rectangular so that was a good fit. As discussed above, if you are able to and comfortable with just having the autocover as your safety barrier, then you have a potentially huge head start on it being affordable with no fence to purchase. Rough cost range will be $10-15K. Ours has been pretty reliable. But not bulletproof. A proper way to think about it is like a car. There will be some regular maintenance and it may not be cheap to protect the investment. My build thread has some stories sprinkled in it with the times it didn't work. A broken pulley and a broken switch as I recall. So there could be times when all of a sudden you can't open or close it suddenly. Or at least not easily. There is a manual process which I managed once. You use a 24" breaker bar with a 3/4" square drive and ratchet open. Don't plan on going to the gym that day.
It gives me great comfort to know that the pool is inaccessible. Unless they break open the switch box. No late night sleepover swims or pool crashing.
I would do it again for sure. I really like our walk on stone lid cover. Quite strong. It really should not be jumped off of though so their is that education for guests. It wouldn't really hurt it but is not nest practice. The other semi issue is that you will lose a lot more water than others due to the dam wall at the cover end since it is lowered. It's approximately 1 1/2-2" above normal water level. So you get splash out with normal swimming. During a big party I put the hose in because I don't have an autofill. I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.

OK thanks! Do you think the location of the pipes makes sense? For such long run I guess the pipes will have to be bigger than usual in diameter?

Edit: the pipes on the left side of the house will run under the deck

Once you figure out what sort of features, pumps, waterfalls, etc you are going to have we can help determine what size plumbing you need.

bmoreswim: ouch 10-15k for the autocover :D I do maintenance to all my cars including one that is almost 20 years old so I am not scared by having to change some pulley or switch. I will read your build thread because I am not quite sure about the issue about dam wall, I can't picture it. I was planning to have it installed on the deep end of the pool - not being able to jump from it is a bummer, I wonder how to circumvent such problem. Thanks for the useful info.

pooldv: oh OK thanks :D yeah I do not really plan any feature like waterfalls or similar. However, my wife started to push for a hot tub... starting some research right now, I am not sure if one can to a hot tub with solar panels only, probably one needs a gas heater? I am completely ignorant on the subject. It probably requires an extra pump for the jets and related plumbing

You need a gas heater with a hot tub if its part of the pool. However if you want the best hot tub experience with lots of jets and reclining then you need to get a portable packaged hot tub and they are electric.

Before you get all set with where your lines are going to run and everything you need to talk to a contractor. In your case a general contractor or an architect. You are not showing lot lines but California has setbacks. Like my equipment pad can't be within five feet of the property line. Nor can any structure. And I can't have a structure within five feet of the rear property line. It all depends on your zoning and your subdivision map. You can figure that out yourself it just takes time and effort. Those setbacks must be shown on your plan for your pool (and your garage).

If you live in the Hayward hills the soil should accept a fair amount of water from a pool without running off. Certinaly from a backwash.

bmoreswim: ouch 10-15k for the autocover :D I do maintenance to all my cars including one that is almost 20 years old so I am not scared by having to change some pulley or switch. I will read your build thread because I am not quite sure about the issue about dam wall, I can't picture it. I was planning to have it installed on the deep end of the pool - not being able to jump from it is a bummer, I wonder how to circumvent such problem. Thanks for the useful info.

One way to solve the deep end is to have a diving board go over the cover. It's not that the cover/lid can't be jumped off of but the stones are attached. They can heavy though and pretty solid. They slightly overhang the brackets so there is that concept going on.

Edited- Stones are NOT attached.

A hot tub adds a heater, pump, valves, valve actuators, automation, more plumbing, etc. We saved about 20k deleting the spa and installed a standalone tub on the screen porch for 5500 bucks. It is cheaper, more efficient, always hot, covered, more comfortable, closer to the house. Generally waayy better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need a gas heater with a hot tub if its part of the pool. However if you want the best hot tub experience with lots of jets and reclining then you need to get a portable packaged hot tub and they are electric.

I'll check with my wife.

Before you get all set with where your lines are going to run and everything you need to talk to a contractor. In your case a general contractor or an architect. You are not showing lot lines but California has setbacks. Like my equipment pad can't be within five feet of the property line. Nor can any structure. And I can't have a structure within five feet of the rear property line. It all depends on your zoning and your subdivision map. You can figure that out yourself it just takes time and effort. Those setbacks must be shown on your plan for your pool (and your garage).

If you live in the Hayward hills the soil should accept a fair amount of water from a pool without running off. Certinaly from a backwash.

I had my property surveyed last year because of the very unusual shape and an issue that came up while talking to the city for a totally unrelated issue (driveway). I did not show all the layers on my drawing to keep things simple but everything shown there is plenty far from the surveyed property lines, the closest spot I can see is over 35ft.

Oh I see about the backwash, I was thinking more like if I ever have to empty the pool! I am still not sure when one would need to do this, but throwing tens of thousands of gallons of water in the property does not sound like a good plan :D

A hot tub adds a heater, pump, valves, valve actuators, automation, more plumbing, etc. We saved about 20k deleting the spa and installed a standalone tub on the screen porch for 5500 bucks. It is cheaper, more efficient, always hot, covered, more comfortable, closer to the house. Generally waayy better.

I see. I was also not convinced a hot tub inside the pool was the best idea.
In our case, there is a secluded area above (see where the "steps to upper level" go?) that I once considered for a hot tub, but my wife thinks it's going to be too far from the house. Even if we plan to have a firepit there and in general an area of "total relax".

- - - Updated - - -

One way to solve the deep end is to have a diving board go over the cover. It's not that the cover/lid can't be jumped off of but the stones are attached. They can heavy though and pretty solid. They slightly overhang the brackets so there is that concept going on.

Edited- Stones are NOT attached.

I have read a good part of your build thread. I am still a bit confused by the whole issue, but I will do more research and after I learn a little better I'm sure your words will make sense. Out of curiosity, why did you put a fence around the pool area, given that you have the auto cover?

In our area autocovers do not satisfy the fence requirement. That said, I'd have a fence anyway to have better controlled access. Our cover is not used for usually two months during the middle of the summer. Plenty warm without it and so long as we are in town. There is often someone here during summer days. There are also times like right after adding chemicals that you want to let the water mix for 15 minutes before covering so it would be exposed to any toddlers visiting the neighbors and wandering over for example. Or my dogs who may not be perfect listeners but do love to swim. And it lets the dogs be outside while we are swimming but not in the pool with us. They aren't the most gentle swimming of beasts.

bmoreswim I have to add, when I saw the beautiful pavilion you acquired, for a moment I thought it would be wonderful also for my outdoors kitchen until I went to their website and saw the prices! I think I'll build my own ?

Ha! Maybe some design inspiration though. My other factors were done in 4 hours and I don't so so well with heights anymore. Not cheap.

I added the extra foot of height so the posts are 9' tall with 8' clearance under the beams. The dimensions were 12.5' wide and 20.5' long. They custom sized it to match up with integral footers I had created the year before in the deck. I intended to do the project myself originally. It is pine, not cedar. With cedar shingles.

The key to the appearance I think is the gable end being on the long side which is much less common.

Looks like a good start. Southwest is great for the solar panels. I would start the pool at 4' deep, not 3'. Hold a tape measure up to everyone to see how shallow 3' is.

I had a look again at your build, and I noticed a very shallow area. How do you use it?

- - - Updated - - -

I have researched standalone pre-built oht tubs and yes for five grands it seems you can get models that can compete with a spaceship in terms of nozzles and design :D Do you have any pictures of your setup? Are in-ground hot tubs like that common? Apparently now also my wife thinks it's a good idea, to be installed on the upper level next to the fire pit...

Apparently now also my wife thinks it's a good idea, to be installed on the upper level next to the fire pit...

It probably took someone other than you to say it was a good idea? Don't ask me why I might say this.

I added the extra foot of height so the posts are 9' tall with 8' clearance under the beams. The dimensions were 12.5' wide and 20.5' long. They custom sized it to match up with integral footers I had created the year before in the deck. I intended to do the project myself originally. It is pine, not cedar. With cedar shingles.

The key to the appearance I think is the gable end being on the long side which is much less common.

Yeah, I was definitely thinking to a roof like that (I just did not know it was called "gable roof"). They did a 20.5ft span with just two posts on the sides, you cannot configure something like that on their website "wizard", they will add a central post.

- - - Updated - - -

It probably took someone other than you to say it was a good idea? Don't ask me why I might say this.

Ahah :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.