Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't Get PH to go Up

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't Get PH to go Up

I am having trouble getting my PH to increase. The current level is 6.8 (Using a Taylor Test kit) and I have added 60 oz of Soda ASH over the last two days and it has not moved up at all. My other readings are:

DE Filter
    Gunite 18K Gallon pool

PH 6.8
    TA 140 PPM
    CYA 90 PPM
    FC 8 PPM

I am currently using a Chlorine Puck feeder. I am going to switch to a SWG (AutoPilot) this weekend but want my water to be in-line before doing it.

Any ideas?
    Priscilla
    16x32 inground vinyl, 15,000gal, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Trichlor pucks will constantly lower the PH. You are probably only adding enough PH Up to compensate for the pucks. You should keep adding PH up to get the PH to at least 7.0. Once you switch to the SWG the behavior of the PH will change, probably tending to go up instead of down.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    The reading of 6.8 really means no higher than 6.8. It could be lower, and you are increasing, but still not over 6.8. Try adding soda ash to a bucket of pool water until you get a change. You can then extrapolate the amount it took from the bucket volume to the pool volume and get a rough idea how much you will use to get the pool to move.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat