Pool guy says need new manifold and grid

Sal512

May 17, 2015
Austin, TX
My pool was turning green and SWG was saying no flow. FIlter had not been cleaned for a year and we got a ton of pollen leaves few weeks ago in Austin. I called a pool guy to clean my filter, he opened it up and reported that manifold is broken and said manifold and all grids need to be replaced. He quoted $400 for parts and labor. I have a Pentair Nautilus FNS DE filter 48 sqft 96gpm. Pool is 15000 gallons in ground. I acquired all this 2 years ago. The pentair filter is from 2004 from the label on it. I am still new to pools , so looking for advice on how to solve this problem. Should i replace the manifold and grid or is it better to get a new filter itself. Any good websites or brands where i can check the price of the manifold and grids. I saw this on amazon, not sure if it will be suitable for my pentair filter Pentair 59023400 Complete Element Grid Assembly Replacement 48 Square Feet FNS Plus Pool and Spa D.E. Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E06892/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_zwE8ybC13KKNC

Can i replace the manifold and grids myself ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Often times DE owners repair their own system. It's not totally foreign to them since they break-down their system 1-2 times a year for a through cleaning anyways. Here are a few great pages that explain the DE system:
Use and care for DE filters
DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial
Guts of QuadDE Filter

Perhaps the better question to ask yourself at this point is ..... Do you like maintaining a DE system, or do you want to switch to a cartridge of sand system? Here are a couple pages to help you with that:
Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Hope that helps. Have a nice weekend.

Sal,

On thing I noticed is that in your signature, it says you have a 60 sq. foot filter, but in your post, you say you have a 48 sq. foot filter. If you do this yourself, it would be very important to know for sure which size filter you have.

The link you provided for the 48" replacement assembly looks like a pretty good deal to me.

I'm a pretty handy DIY kind of guy and "almost" enjoy doing filter cleaning work. The work itself is relatively easy, but does require a couple of tools, new DE material, a tube of pool lube, about two or three hours of your time (the first time) and you will most likely get wet!! :p

I suspect you can do the job, but the real questions do you "want" to do the job???

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Sal,

On thing I noticed is that in your signature, it says you have a 60 sq. foot filter, but in your post, you say you have a 48 sq. foot filter. If you do this yourself, it would be very important to know for sure which size filter you have.

The link you provided for the 48" replacement assembly looks like a pretty good deal to me.

I'm a pretty handy DIY kind of guy and "almost" enjoy doing filter cleaning work. The work itself is relatively easy, but does require a couple of tools, new DE material, a tube of pool lube, about two or three hours of your time (the first time) and you will most likely get wet!! :p

I suspect you can do the job, but the real questions do you "want" to do the job???

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim, then my signature is incorrect. I am sure this is a 48 sqft filter. See picture for evidence
75756bd8f300dc83b2fef7d83c97d678.jpg

Often times DE owners repair their own system. It's not totally foreign to them since they break-down their system 1-2 times a year for a through cleaning anyways. Here are a few great pages that explain the DE system:
Use and care for DE filters
DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial
Guts of QuadDE Filter

Perhaps the better question to ask yourself at this point is ..... Do you like maintaining a DE system, or do you want to switch to a cartridge of sand system? Here are a couple pages to help you with that:
Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Hope that helps. Have a nice weekend.

Thanks for the links. I can DIY but Since its first time I will take long to read up and gather the right tools etc And I am short on time. If i want to go the cartridge system route, how do i find an appropriate cartridge that suits my existing equipment ? Also what are the good brands and where to purchase for best price

I cannot run my filter and polaris until i get this sorted out, what should i be doing to prevent pool water from turning green. Will tossing in a few jugs of chlorine everyday keep the water healthy for two weeks until i get a new filter installed or replace the manifold and grid set for the existing pentair nautilus DE filter

With cartridge bigger is better, at the minimum based on the filter you have now you will want a 420sq, and ideally to prolong cleanings a 520sq.

Pentairs clean and clear line is a good product.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Thanks i checked out the pentair clean and clear line. Its a quad filter which does not use DE. Sounds good. But i found that if i go with this one, i will have to replace my existing multiport valve, because the one with backwash does not work with the clean and clear cartridge type filter. Can someone confirm if this is true ? My multiport valve is only 6 months old , i had replaced it spending $200 and would hate to lose that investment and spend more for a new valve

Sal, cartridge filters do not use multiport valves as there is no backwash function with them. Sand filters backwash, but if you got a new sand filter it should come with a new valve of its own. You could always get a new DE or sand filter then keep the old one (which is fairly new) as a back-up I suppose. To your question earlier about what to do now, simply try to keep the CYA and FC levels balanced according to the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below) to prevent algae from settling in until you make your decision.

I discovered that pool filter is covered under home appliance warranty. So i am filing a claim with them. They usually take the cheapest route to remedy a problem, so i might not be able to get a new filter, but atleast get a new manifold and grid set

Reactions: grybakdow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good news. Home warranty covers my pool filter and they have approved replacing it with a new one. They are offering the same model which is a pentair DE filter, 180008 fns, 48 sq ft, it sells for $621 on amazon. Pentair 180008 FNS Plus Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Material, Vertical Grid, D.E. Pool Filter, 48 Square Feet, 96 GPM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001H3IWFY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bwUczb1W4NM2P

Based on recommendations on this thread , i want the new filter to be the pentair clean and clear plus cartridge filter, 420 sqft , 150 gpm is selling for $794 . Pentair 160301 Clean & Clear Plus Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Tank Cartridge Pool Filter, 420 Square Feet, 150 GPM (Residential) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007E4W5VM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZCUczb975KAA2

I will have to pay the difference in cost , if i opt for a cartridge filter. Looks like it will be around $180. Should i do that ? Please advise.

Here's my personal opinion. I would let the home warranty insurance replace the filter in kind. Unless you absolutely hate the DE filter I wouldn't change it.

I would suggest that you learn to maintain it, and start doing that yourself. Once you learn to do it, it's relatively easy to do.

Sal - That DE filter is very easy to backwash and add DE too and even to take apart and clean once a year if needed. I don't know how they open, I think the same way, but to clean the cartridges, you don't backwash, you must open it and take them out to clean, you may do this multiple times per year. Per those articles the DE does the best job of cleaning anyway.

I don't know the exact advantages of cartridge over DE, if there really are any, but I'm not sure I saw anyone in the thread recommend you move to cartridge, they gave you information to evaluate and maybe you've decided to move to cartridge, which in that case you should if you like it. Just don't think there is less maintenance. For cartridge you open to clean several times a year, with DE, you backwash a few times a year and then open to clean once a year, but probably less often than a cartridge. It will all depend on how much debris you get in your pool and if you've got trees close by, etc.

I've got a tree that covers part of my pool and with the amount of stuff I get in my pool from mowing, storms, and the tree, etc I would never want a cartridge filter, I'd be taking it apart several times a year for cleaning. With DE it takes me 10 minutes to backwash and then I take it apart for deeper cleaning just once a year. You need to factor in the cost of DE as well, but I'll take that cost every day vs having to clean cartridges several times a year.

YMMV based on the amount of stuff you get in your pool, but for a comparison since early March - I have to empty my skimmer baskets every other day (they are FULL) and the cleaner probably every 3 to 4 days. I do that for about 2 months during the spring. I backwash 7 or 8 times a year, I think that is a lot from what some others do, but it's due to my tree and the amount of stuff that gets in the pool. You may never need to backwash like that, but it is just a consideration. It is an easy process.

Thanks ckk81, GDN, Bama Rambler for responding. You have helped me make a critical decision. My neighbors oak tree covers half of my pool. And i have leaves blown into it from mowing. I will go with the DE filter, will just accept the replacement the home warranty company is offering and then remember to backwash and open/clean on a schedule.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.