Swamp Fever...First Time Pool Opening....SLAM Time

You can buy a small bag of DE at Wal-Mart.

Is it just a general type of DE or is it only for pools? Haven't used DE in the past so I'm not real familiar with it.

Scratch that question, I just found the HTH brand. I'll swing by and pick it up.

How much should I add?

The rule of thumb is to add enough to raise the pressure 1 psi. To be honest I just kind of eyeball half a solo cup, will depend on your filter size. Try not to breathe it in and watch your pressure gauge. If it starts catching stuff the pressure will go up quick.

Ok

So once the pressure goes up and if it goes up more once it starts catching stuff do you do a backwash, rinse and do you add more?

The rule of thumb is to add enough to raise the pressure 1 psi. To be honest I just kind of eyeball half a solo cup, will depend on your filter size. Try not to breathe it in and watch your pressure gauge. If it starts catching stuff the pressure will go up quick.

Picked up some DE and plumbing parts at lunch then ran home, fixed the leak on the return side, skimmed pool, cleaned skimmer basket and adjusted chlorine to get back to 16ppm, it was at 14ppm. so I lost about 2ppm in 6.5 hours. the water looks like it's changing colors, didn't get a pic because I had pipe primer and glue on my hands (just a little bit)...LOL

I'll try and add the DE when I get home later.

Make sure to "babysit" the pump/filter to be on the safe side. If you see the pressure shooting up-STOP the pump and do a backwash. Some filters like 1/4 cup some like 2 cups. You have to find what YOUR filter likes. Start small to be on the safe side.

Kim:kim:

Got home late last night but had my family skim the pool and make sure the skimmer basket was emptied out. At some point the skimmer door was closed enough that it was blocking some water getting in the skimmer which caused the pump to loose prime. Got it taken care of, checked levels, added chlorine and brushed the pool. After backwashing and rinsing i had to add more water, I usually keep it right at the center screws on the skimmer but I got busy and if someone in the house wouldn't of said something about the pool it would of been flowing over the top...LOL. It's about 3/4" above the middle screws which is fine but we are getting a lot of rain...Haha

I've got to find time to get pix, just havent had a chance, water is slowly turning lighter but when I compare it to last year it was light blue at this stage then. Any ideas why? I'm just curious...could something like my cya be higher than my test results and I really should keep my FC higher than what I currently am? According to the last tests I did of CYA it's at 40 and I keep my FC at 16 or a little above. Maybe the sand isn't filtering out the small stuff very well this year? I'll have to wait until Friday to add the DE.

If my FC is 14 pool math says to add 20oz to get to 16. I've checked it after 30 minutes and its right at 16.

The Chlorine I bought was just made towards the end of last month.

Check the % on your chlorine/bleach! They have been doing some funny stuff with some of them gurrrrrrrr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water was at the top of the skimmer opening, bypassed some to waste then hooked up the vacuum. That's when things got interesting, was vacuuming to waste and had the pole extended to reach the middle of the pool. There was so much suction that the pole came apart leaving the vaccum in the middle. Tried pulling the hose but it came off. I scooted the ladder close, got on the edge of the pool and got it....ummmmm it was freaking cold, 62 degrees water temp. Found the vacuum and lower part of the pool so I climbed up on the rail and out. All during this time it was also pouring down rain so I went ahead and raked the pool and got a few more leaves out. When I was raking I could make out the blue part of the leaf rake all the way at the bottom of the pool. Looks like it is getting clearer now. I also added a little DE to the filter and kept an eye on the gauge to make sure the pressure didn't shoot up.

Duh I knew that but totally had forgotten...thanks for reminding me..LOL

Water is getting clearer in the sense that I can make out the white part of the brush on the bottom of the pool. It's still not a light blue like it was this time last year though. I promise I'll get pictures, it's just been yucky weather and not the best time of the day to take one.

The pH test isn't valid with FC over 10, you can skip it until the end of your SLAM.

How's the water looking?

Well I guess I got too much DE, lost 3" of water out the top of the filter below the multi-port valve....The psi was stable when I left to go back work after giving the gauge time to settle....Lesson learned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.