Hello From California !!!

Apr 8, 2017
Hesperia, CA
Hello everyone,

I'm a newb... First time pool owner. Wife & I had a blank slate for our backyard, so we decided to landscape & build a pool. We live on 1/2 acre so we had a lot of room to play with. We live in the high desert region of Southern CA.

Our pool has been up and running for 1 month now. We have not swimmed in it yet, as I am still am still struggling to get the chemicals under control.

I LOVE this site !!! An array of information for those willing to seek it.

So at the advice of this site, I invested in a REAL test kit ( K-2006) and started stocking up on chemicals I will need and bought a killer robotic vacuum.

I'm going to be my own pool guy. I find it therapeutic and rewarding.

Soooo.... I will be asking lots of questions.

Thanks a million of letting me be part of this Community...

Mike.

Welcome! :wave:

Just a tip: your CH levels will probably exceed the recommended levels in no time due to hard water and evaporation. Pay attention to the CSI calculation in the table on poolmath. If it starts getting close to +.5, you'll need to keep pH and TA down at the lower end of the range. It can be done, because I've been doing it for years. Don't obsess on it just yet, but file this away and don't panic when you start seeing your numbers outside the range. By then, you may have already figured it out. If not, post about it but don't panic and start replacing thousands of gallons of water because it isn't necessary.

Also, if you haven't discovered this yet out where you live, wind is a worse enemy than heat as far as evaporation goes. A cover will help a lot, assuming it doesn't get blown off.