Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I start my algae assault over a rainy weekend?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I start my algae assault over a rainy weekend?

My test kit from from Trouble Free kits is supposed to arive today or tomorrow. Once it arives I am going to get a good handle on my baseline levels, and I want to get to work. I have already turned the pool from wetlands to milky blue, but I am stuck at that stage. Understandable, since I was shooting blind up until this point.

Unfortunately it looks like the weather forecast is a dud for the next few days. Normally I would be out doing other things but the bad weather means I am home for the weekend.

Is it a bad idea to begin shocking the pool during a spell of bad weather?

I want to take advantage of this time at home, but I also don't want to waste a bunch of $$$ on chlorine if it is going to be less effective because of the weather.

Thanks!
    New Yorker ABG 24x54 Aluminum Wall, 1.5 HP Waterways Sand Filter and Pump, Frog Inline Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I start my algae assault over a rainy weekend?

Welcome to TFP!

Shocking the pool in the rain is fine, but thunderstorms or other major storms are not so good. Shocking in the rain is good in a way because the reduced sunlight means more of the chlorine goes towards killing algae. Of course you will get wet
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School