Show off your pool house!

hlemon

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2008
We are seriously considering adding a pool house or some type of changing area to our backyard this year!

If anyone would be willing to share about their "pool house" I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe a picture and the details on what size it is, did you build it yourself, are there things you wish you had thought of beforehand, etc.

We have quite a bit of room to work with, but no project is too small! Show them off!

I have more of a pool cabana. I don't have a picture of mine, but I built it 12'X24' with a pitched roof and a concrete floor. One end is 6'X12' which is the equipment room and bath/changing room. I did not put a shower in, as that would have required a water heater and much more electrical wiring for the service to the heater. The remaining 12'X18' is screened on three sides from about 2.5' from the floor to the eaves.

A few features: A drain in the floor next to the filter for getting rid of the water when I winterize. A screened vent right next to the pump (I'll be adding a small power vent high on the wall to circulate air through there to make it cooler). An outdoor faucet for adding water and an indoor faucet over the pump with an extension for rinsing bleach bottles. A ceiling fan in the screened area.

Size wise, the bathroom is a little tight on space (6'X8' roughly) , and the dining area could be shorter although it's fine as is. I'd move the dividing wall a foot if I was doing it again, but it's not worth moving it. Plenty of room for changing, but storing extra towels and suits would be easier with a little more room. Any bathroom at all is a luxury with kids, and having the changing area really keeps the dripping water out of the house. 12' width is about as narrow as you want to go to handle a standard patio dining set if you are interested in that. The 2.5' wall height was chosen to allow us to sit in chairs inside and still see all of the pool when the kids are swimming. The roof was pitched to give me a 9'X26' area for my solar panels, and the location was chosen to give me a south facing roof. I semi-planned for adding plexiglass panels to the screened openings if we want a place to sit out in the fall.

Here is our pool house. We built our house from the ground up and included this 560 sq. ft. "accessory building" at our back lot line - this is allowed by zoning where we live. It has a main room that we use as a gym, with a free weight cage, a weight machine, an elliptical trainer and a TV. A bath area with a two-headed shower and a steam room. A kitchenette (no stove allowed by zoning). And a room for all of the pool equipment. The roof has a "salt-box" profile, meaning that the back side is much longer, leaving room for all of our solar panels.

[attachment=0:6sjdcdir]accessory building.jpg[/attachment:6sjdcdir]

Attachments

• accessory building.jpg
    accessory building.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,103
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.