TFP opinions of Huntsville AL

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
My company offered me a position in Huntsville. I will be taking an exploratory trip in a month or so, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to solicit the opinions of my TFP brethren and sistren. Any TFP'ers live in the area? How do you like the location, culture, weather, food, etc. What neighborhoods are preferred?

I lived in South West Madison for 7 years. I'm not the adventurous type though so my knowledge is pretty basic. In Huntsville proper there is just about any kind of food you can think of. From your typical Asian hole in the wall all the way up to Ruth's Chris. There are movie theaters that serve alcohol and have recliners. There's a big park in town that has all different kinds of koi. In the summer they have free concerts in the park.

Hi Svenpup

Did you ever make it out to Huntsville for that exploratory trip? I came to Alabama from LA back in 1968 than left in 1976 (US Navy) and returned in 2010, have always called Alabama home and visited often as this was where my family lived.

I think you will discover a big difference between the lifestyle of CA vs. Alabama but Huntsville in general is a very diverse community. The standing joke is that no one is from Huntsville, we are all transplants. Madison AL a suburb of Huntsville (it's all Huntsville to me) claim to fame is that 57 percent of its residents have a bachelor's degree or higher. Nearly 20,000 of Huntsville residents hold a engineering degree.

I think you will find the people here very friendly, they will wave at you and say hi even though they have no idea who you are. Now I bet you want to know about our Rednecks :), yes you will find them out and about in their hunting trucks and if you really want to experience the full effect just drop into any Wal-Mart. All kidding aside nothing to be all worked up about as I live next door to some of the best and finest Rednecks Alabama has to offer and they too are great to be around.

All in all Huntsville is the best kept secret in the aerospace and defense industry. That sector has grown 46 percent over the past decade and more than 61,000 people work in Huntsville's aerospace and defense industry at more than 300 companies and federal agencies.

Come check us out I think you will be surprise.

Dennis

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.