Pump Time Question

Good morning everyone,

trampoline style cover.
    pH: 7.8
    FC: 20
    Alkalinity: 130
    CYA: 40/50
    Water Temp 45 f

Long story short, last year when I open the pool it was a swamp (May 2016 ). It took forever to get it cleaned. So this year I thought i'll open a month early while the water is still cold and only a little green. I am trying to save on hydro and was thinking while the water is cold would it be ok to just run the pump in the evenings for 12 hrs at a time?
    What is the reasoning for running the pump 24/7 for shocking? I don't mind if it takes a week to clear up as we wont be swimming just yet.

Please and thank you
    23000 gallon inground pool, Vinyl liner with hayward sand filter, 1.5hp hayward pump with TF-100 test kit. Raypak P-R266A pool Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Time Question

First question: what is your location? Please add that to your profile.

2nd question: Why is your pool "a little green" with your FC at 20!

Sounds like you need to SLAM it and run the pump 24/7 until it passes. Then enough to keep your water clear and clean enough to make you happy.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am in ontario , canada.

I am slamming the pool as we speak.

My question is why is it necessarry to run the pump 24/7 during slaming? I get if you want it cleaned ASAP but what if I am not in a rush can I just run the pump 12 hours a day. I've read algae doesnt really grow if the water is below 58f roughly.

I hope this makes sense
    23000 gallon inground pool, Vinyl liner with hayward sand filter, 1.5hp hayward pump with TF-100 test kit. Raypak P-R266A pool Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

The presence of green suggests that either the 58 isn't an absolute, or that areas of your pool has warmed beyond that...? At any rate, the water will need good circulation to distribute FC. I've heard that the ON hydro rates can get ugly and that 1.5 hp pump of your is no friend, but 12 hours of stagnation will likely work against you. If you're intent on saving pump time, I would recommend cycling the pump on and off throughout the day instead of 12 on / 12 off. You'll also probably want to brush often to help offset the lack of circulation.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Rollercoastr. I thought I could get around the 24/7 pump run. But I will try cycling it on and of though out the day and 12 hrs a night. Hope this helps.

6. Back To Top    #6

...........because your chlorine will not be sufficiently dispersed to cover nooks and crannies with a down time of 12 hours at a time. You will also not be filtering out dead algae So it will take more time and more chlorine over that longer period of time. There is also no point in keeping your FC any higher than you have to for any longer than is necessary.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

I did the same thing at the end of my SLAM. Like you, I wasn't in a hurry to swim. I had a similar energy-sucking pump and an old-fashioned Intermatic manual timer. I bought extra trippers for the timer and cycled it throughout the day. I would run the pump during and after brushing with the hope that any suspended debris had a better chance of making it to the filter.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS