Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To all S, SE and vicinity Texas inground pool owners/and similar places

1. Back To Top    #1

To all S, SE and vicinity Texas inground pool owners/and similar places

Hello to all,

Just in the last 3-4 days, the Houston area weather has changed [hotter w more sunshine, and a bit windier].

I have noticed, even after filling my pool to right below the drain-line, that the water level is dropping quicker than the last 6-7 months. Have other pool owners in Texas near the Houston area or 100+/- miles [and similar like environments], been experiencing much faster than normal water level drops too? Just trying to determine if this is pure evaporation or do I possibly have something else happening? I certainly hope not the latter.

Also, not running any water features of any extended periods. I have fired-up the spa lately. which is a spillover into the pool.

Thank you very much,
    tstex
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward H400FD 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To all S, SE and vicinity Texas inground pool owners/and similar places

TS,

The windier it is the more evaporation you get..

I lose about 1/8" to 1/4" per day. I end up adding water about every 7 to 10 days.

I used my "OCD" bucket tester and confirmed that I do not have a pool leak..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

That's The Bucket Test on steroids!! I like it a lot!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Holy smokes that bucket test is TFP worthy! Fantastic Jim!

Same for me though. The high winds lately have caused me to add more water than usual. Hopefully tonight's expected storms will help make-up for that.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, I lost at least half an inch over Friday and Saturday with the wind howling....................
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, those 40 mph winds were crazy!

What is the process to calibrate that ocd bucket???
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    What is the process to calibrate that ocd bucket???
    Each threaded rod has a nut near the top. Once the tester is set up in the pool you adjust the nuts so that they both point to the same line.

So, if the pool and the bucket have the same loss over a period of time, the nuts will be lower on the scale, but still point to the same line.

Lines are half an inch apart.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

Very nice! We need to start calling you Bucket Test Jim!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Guys, appreciate the feedback...Jim, is Bedford near Euless area and Fort Worth? if so, you coming to Hou anytime soon, staying for 3-5 days, then going back?

InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward H400FD 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

im in the Houston area, and yes for atleast the past week it seems like my water is evaporating more and more, I was also concerned about it
    2016 pool build.... 18k gal. freeform style, built in round table, 18" jumping platform, travertine coping upgrade, travertine waterline, peagravel decking, saltwater pool (no spa), Quartzscape blue., 1.5hp Pentair pump, JANDY SWG, 48sqft Pentair DE filter, TFP-100 kit w/speedstir MYPoolBuild

11. Back To Top    #11

AP and others...NICE RAINS today in West Hou...."my pool water runneth over". no evapo today !!!

Probably lowered my CYA, CH, FC and raised my pH, but kept from raising my water bill...think I'll fire-up the spa tonight and enjoy the cooler air too - cheers

12. Back To Top    #12

Yep, finally got that rain they were advertising. Had to drain some water. Nice for a change.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Yep, finally got that rain they were advertising. Had to drain some water. Nice for a change.
    Pat, does your pool have a side-drain?

14. Back To Top    #14

Pat, does your pool have a side-drain?
    Unfortunately no. No overfill relief. So what I have to do is use my foundation. I can swivel the PVC away from the pool and pump-out water that way. If I didn't have that, I would have to rely on my small water spigot valve at the bottom of my cartridge filter which is very slow.

15. Back To Top    #15

Been seeing the same thing south of Houston as well, losing between 1/2 and one inch a day for the past week.

Chris

17k IG plaster, Pentair FNS DE, Aquarite 40k SWG, & Polaris 380 (AKA "Jacques") using city water

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Unfortunately no. No overfill relief. So what I have to do is use my foundation. I can swivel the PVC away from the pool and pump-out water that way. If I didn't have that, I would have to rely on my small water spigot valve at the bottom of my cartridge filter which is very slow.
    Well then, at least you have 2 options, the former being a lot better.

I have submersible pump I bought to drain where my foundation was going for the summer kitchen which was built w the pool there was a 2ft x 2ft beam the entire perimeter of a 22' x 38' slab, and a 9ft x 4.5ft x 4ft deep rectangle for the fireplace slab. Also had (12) 10ft x 16" bell-bottom piers w 3ft bell-bottoms too. It rained so much that water was coming over the forms...there were also 3 2ftx2ft crossbeams too. It took 7.5 hrs to pump out about 6000 gals...When the foundation guys came the follow day, they had one of those hand suction pumps...it would have taken them 4-5 days w that thing...lol I'll have to post the pics of the before and after sometime...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrispete View Post
    Been seeing the same thing south of Houston as well, losing between 1/2 and one inch a day for the past week.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Thanks Chris - looks like just a lot of evap...glad I didn't have a leak...