I think I messed up our pool foundation

Hi, my name is Ben I'm from Baton Rouge, LA. We have a summer waves 18X48 and recently I started to prepare the foundation for our pool. I was rushing to try to get it done and just skimmed info so I was under the assumption that you dig a few inches into the ground and then level it with sand... Monday comes along and during my lunch break I can actually sit and read and I think I've done it all wrong. If I have done it all wrong is it possible to put the dirt back where I took it out of and if so would I need to wait a certain amount of time before the ground if compact enough to set the pool up??!!??

Hello Ben and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, digging down is the right thing to do to prepare for a good base and/or level if required. Adding soil back in usually not recommended. What varies from owner to owner is what they place on the ground as a base material once they remove the grass/sod. Some will use just sand, but others may use insulation panels, Gorilla pads, or various other products to protect the bottom of the liner from rocks, sticks, and tough weeds/grass. If you search a bit here at TFP you'll see what I mean about various base preparations. Hopefully some replies directly to your thread here form others will help.

Nice to have you with us.

Well, the ground was fairly level before hand but my wife didnt want me to burn or use chemicals to get rid of the grass so I started to dig manually . The more hard areas of the yard go down maybe 2.5 inches. Softer parts of the yard, also when I was starting to get worn out, is more like 4 inches. Overall I think its pretty jacked up.:sad:

Well, keep aspirin and a cold beverage nearby. :cheers: Take your time because without a doubt, good base prep is #1 with an above ground pool. As I said above, there are various methods to cover the hard soil, and some folks use a combo of each for liner protection and comfort to the feet when in the pool. And don't forget being level! Last thing you want is to have the pool full of water can go ..... "Aaaahhhhhhhh!" :hammer: That's putting in nicely. :) Level within 1" is very important, and your choice of base material will provide comfort and protection for quite some time when done thoughtfully.

With hand tools and patience its fairly easy to get it to 1/2". Just go slow and choose a method for determining level. If you are less than 4 inches you can always either just leave it or after the pool is up feather it away. There are some posts on here that discuss ways to level your surface.

You don't want to backfill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.