The "Cougar" (No, not that!)

Sammy2

Aug 30, 2016
Riverside, CA
What I thought was a Kreepy Krawler is actually a Poolvergnuegen The Pool Cleaner 2-wheel suction side cleaner but it uses the same hoses as a Pentair Kreepy Krawler and looks very similar. It wasn't until this past weekend when futzing with the chemical balance, or shall I say unbalance, left behind by my "pool guy" that I realized I have something different.

At any rate, why do I call it the cougar you ask? Well, when we first moved into this house in 2014 the thing would surface making a horrible growl when sucking air until it would lose enough suction to break the seal and fall back down to the bottom of the pool. Being as our area is on the boarder of a semi-rural area, my wife thought we had a cougar or mountain lion in the back yard. We were perplexed until it did it one time when we were in the back yard..

What's the point of all this you ask? I was thinking of replacing the tires and noticed the pictures of them show considerably more tread than we currently have. Who knows but I suspect the tires have never been replaced in 14 years of operation so I got to researching them. I found the tires to be PN 896584000-143 and found them in several places, PoolSupplyWorld having the best price but I saw this review on amazon..
"They were easy to put on, and keep our cleaner from getting up to the surface and drawing in air and making a huge noise. The funny thing is, our cleaner did not come with these originally. We've had it for years, and a guy we had over to fix some other stuff on the pool seemed aghast that we had let the tires wear down so far that the pool cleaner was getting to the surface. We said it has always done that, since the day we got it. The whole family calls it the pool monster. We didn't know any better."

..and was wondering if we can kill the cougar with a set of new tires?

What do you think?

Post a picture of the unit showing the tires. We may be able to give you a better response once we see the tires.

Additionally, I believe you can adjust the amount of suction that goes to the cleaner - which may help keep it from breaking the surface. Is there an inline adapter - with an adjustable knob on it - near where the hose connects to the suction port or skimmer?

Post a picture of the unit showing the tires. We may be able to give you a better response once we see the tires.

Additionally, I believe you can adjust the amount of suction that goes to the cleaner - which may help keep it from breaking the surface. Is there an inline adapter - with an adjustable knob on it - near where the hose connects to the suction port or skimmer?

I'm at work right now but my tires are merely nubs compared to what they look like brand new and don't have the big nub at all.896584000-143.jpg

If it were me, I'd order a new set of tires. You're going to need them sooner or later anyway.

When you are able, post a pic of the unit, of where is connects to the pool and of your equipment pad. From those pics, we should be able to help you get it adjusted so it doesn't break the surface.

Here's a link to a page on your cleaner - with links to the manual and additional info: 2 Wheel automatic swimming pool cleaner -- The PoolCleaner

Also, based on your available suction, you may be able to reduce your pump rpm and still get efficient cleaning. This will help save $$$ by not needing to run the pump full bore. (I saw your question about cost analysis on another thread).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.