Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rust in Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Rust in Water

Hello everyone, I plan on filling my pool in the next couple of weeks for the first time. It is 30,000 gallons. I am on a well and I know rust is a major problem. I have a whole home filter but rust still makes it through. I know after I shock it with chlorine that it is more than likely to turn into coffee. In this situation should I just run the pump and filter constantly? I have seen a lot of videos of people taking pillow stuffing and making filters with that but I always wonder if that is a waist of time since the pool has a filter anyway. Any help is appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rust in Water

Depends what kind of filter you have. I would say that it is beneficial to keep that iron out of the pool filter and catch it in material that can be easily thrown away. And more places to filter it will filter it out faster.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

People have had good luck precipitating the iron out and straining it with paper towels. Here's one: A Tale of Two Filters... and Ugly, Rusty Water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ill try the paper towel trick for sure. Ive been doing some more research and Im confused. Will shocking the water separate the iron from the water? Im seeing more stuff about adding in a metal sequestrant? But so far everything Ive seen is about just shocking and filtering.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Here in New England for a 30k pool people only use a pool water service for about $1500 and its filled in a few hours - with pure clean water.
    I would expect you will kill your well, well tank etc.l running it non-stop for a couple of days.
    Let alone you need a real filter to remove rust. You can buy them online and rig one up to your hose or they sell hose filters.
    I use one for top off's but would never fill a pool off a well.
    Just my opinion.
    B
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100