Fiberglass Pool repair and washout around steps

tam87

Bronze Supporter
Feb 2, 2015
New Port Richey, FL
You guys were unbelievably helpful in getting me straight on how to maintain our pool when it was first installed and its been great!! I did just do the Bronze sponsorship but it hasn't posted to my profile as of yet! Thanks! Got a dilemma now

When pool was originally built there was a top step that was a larger fiberglass lip than the rest of pool--see photo1.

This large lip flexed when walked on and coping pavers wouldn't stay set so a hole was cut in the lip to fill in and reset pavers--they stayed Ok for about a year. see photo 2 of cutout area

Now area needs to be repaired..there is washout under the steps-I can hear a few hollow spots on the top step directly underneath the lip there and the paver coping once again did not stay set there due to the lip flexing from washout UNDER it.-see photo3

My Plan: - Other than this weird spot, the rest of the job was great NONE OF MY OTHER COPINGS ARE LOOSE OR CRAKED , but I think that's because they all had a combination of thinset AND construction glue around the edges for adhesion--see photo 1 of original construction before pavers set.)--the original paver company has no interest in helping us even if we paid them No worries-- I know I am capable of fixing this but want opinions if I'm on the correct path.
I have taken pictures and numbered the coping so I don't loose track of where they go.

I was thinking that a concrete mix that is slower setting and on the viscous side could be slowly poured down into the void area under this lip and would fill in some of the voids I can feel under the top step. We could use a long flexible rod/stick hanger etc to encourage the cement into the voids. I would STOP the pour about 1 inches SHORT of the fiberglass lip to leave room for crushed granite layer, leveling sand. OR I could fill in the whole area with concrete just leaving room for a layer of adhesive thinset for the back half of the coping pavers. Would need to be careful that this area isn't any higher than the rest of the pavers but it shouldn't be as long as the concrete pour leaves an allowance for the thinset

Some side notes: The top step(first one in water) is NOT in any way unstable nor does it bend when we step on it--simply if you tap on it you can tell there there is a void in the fill sand under parts of it.
There will be one spot where the coping pavers simply will only be on fiberglass(construction glue) and not be in contact with thinset for extra adhesion but I think as long as we eliminate this flexing of the pool lip due to washout they should stay ok.

Seem reasonable? Am I forgetting anything?
See that CRYSTAL clear TroubleFree Pool water in the background on the photos?? :kim:

My fiberglass pool was laid in and backfilled with stone. Apparently that's the preferred method these days as the stones don't wash out like sand can. Can you dig out and replaced the sand under that step with stones?

Yip:flower:

We would have to destroy areas that are perfectly good to do that and make what I believe a fairly small repair even bigger. Here in S. FLorida I have never heard of backfilling with stones. Biggest issue here is that there was no concrete originally poured in this area due to that top step/lip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.