Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pucks while away, will I be ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pucks while away, will I be ok?

New owner of an old pool and this is my first post here. I think I get this whole trouble free pool thing. It all makes since to me. My one major issue is the number of times I will be away from my pool for several days to a week at a time this summer. Do I just let mc FC levels fall while away and deal with the results when I get back? Do I throw a couple Chlorine pucks in the chlorinator while I'm gone and deal with the results when I get back? How do you guys/gals handle this situation?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pucks while away, will I be ok?

Welcome to TFP!

First thing to do is raise the FC level up to shock level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart. Then if that won't be enough to last until you return you can float a puck or two in a floater in the pool or in the puckinator.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Or, upgrade to some form of chlorine automation - SWCG or Stenner Pump
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

4. Back To Top    #4

I have an inline rainbow puck feeder that normally stays out of service. When leaving for any extended time, I raise FC level and utilize the puck feeder to keep a minimum safe FC level,while Im gone. It add some amount of CYA but not enough to make it an issue. These feeders are ~$60 and easy to install.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall