Laterals on top of sand?

May 9, 2016
Lynchburg, VA
(See links and pictures below for reference).

I opened up my sand filter to do a deep clean for the first time (just moved into this house 1.5 years ago). When I opened it, I was surprised to see 1) that the filter was only half full of sand, and 2) that the laterals were sitting on top of the sand.

So I've got two questions for you. First, how can I tell whether there is enough sand in the filter? Judging by this thread, it's fairly common for filters to only be filled halfway, but I can't tell if this is right for my filter. There's no fill line. I did find the manual for my filter online (link below), but all it says is there should be 100 pounds of sand. So I can't really tell based on that.

Second, should the laterals be sitting on top of the sand like that? My understanding was the laterals were supposed to be embedded in the sand near the bottom. If this is wrong, how can I rectify this? Do I need to dry vacuum out the sand and replace it?

Here's a link to the manual. I'll admit I haven't read it thoroughly yet, but I thought I'd ask your advice now anyway. I also have a picture attached.

Edit: Here's some more pictures. I uploaded them to Imgur, because I was having trouble attaching them.

Laterals on top.jpg

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that maybe I accidentally pulled the laterals up through the sand when I was taking off the top. It wouldn't be the first mistake I've made. Let me know if you think that's what might have happened.
I was just about to suggest that, as the standpipe should not be that far above the top of the filter housing as shown in those pics on Imgur.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what happened. I do have 100 pounds of filter sand that was left here by the former owner, so maybe this is a good time to just replace the sand. Anyone know how to get the laterals out? I suppose I need to pull them into the up position, but I want to do it right so I don't damage them.

Normal sand depth for 95% of sand filters is 2/3 of the filter body.

Measure the depth of your sand and then measure the depth of your filter body.

I am not sure your laterals are wrong but I know they should be underneath that sand and somewhere around 1/4 (of the body depth) from the bottom.

Normal sand depth for 95% of sand filters is 2/3 of the filter body.

Measure the depth of your sand and then measure the depth of your filter body.

I am not sure your laterals are wrong but I know they should be underneath that sand and somewhere around 1/4 (of the body depth) from the bottom.

Thanks! Looks like I'm going to need to remove the sand either way, just to get those laterals underneath the sand.

Unless you felt some resistance, I'm not sure you would have been able to pull the laterals through the sand.

I was thinking the same thing, borjis. It seems like it would take a bunch of force to do that. I did have trouble getting the top off the filter, and I do recall hearing the sound of moving sand. But if those laterals were really all the way at the bottom, I wouldn't think I used enough force to bring them through the sand. However, the sand is totally dry having sat there unused all winter, so maybe it was loose enough to not provide much resistance. And they couldn't have always been that way, because the filter worked fine last summer. I'm thinking its a combination of things. The laterals weren't far down enough to begin with, the sand was loose enough to bring them through, and me not really knowing what I was doing, I just pulled them right up.

Regardless, I think the next course of action is clear. I'll need to remove the sand and replace it so I can get those laterals in the right place. :thumbdown:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.