Bathtub Ring after replaster

NorthOfDallas

Gold Supporter
Jan 19, 2013
The Colon(y), Tx
Hello O' Oracle of TFP!
We have a 15k freeform that was built in '96. We had it re plastered with 30% blue quartz and smooth plaster last year around this time. I overall am very happy with it, but I do have a ring from when it was filling. I don't recall the water being shut off, but its been a year and it could have happened I suppose. It really densest bother me too much, but if I can do something about it without draining the pool and/or spending lotsa money, I'll give it a go. I used a friend for the work and prefer to not involve them since they did me right in all other aspects of this job.

So my question is: is there a way to scrub (pumice, stainless brush, etc.) the bathtub ring to make it blend better? Is there another approach that works?

Please see pics (sorry for the crude overlay, but wanted to highlight the ring - which runs through the text boxes).

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Ring Pic 1.jpg
    Ring Pic 1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Ring Pic 2.jpg
    Ring Pic 2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Ring Pic 3.jpg
    Ring Pic 3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 111
It is next to impossible to blend in effectively, but using 100 grit wet/dry sandpaper may improve it. And this will work best under water. Good luck, it will require a lot of sanding.

Harbor freight has some decent air powered sanders - DA, orbital, etc - for under $40. Do you have a decently sized air compressor? I wonder how well it would work under water? Cheap enough that if it doesn't work out, or you wreck it trying it's not a huge loss...

I do have a 60gal compressor, so that might could work. I'm not afraid of wrecking a HF special, but what risk would be ther ewith the plaster by doing it with power tools? Have you done this before?

Nope - just an idea based on the other reply... I'm always about power tools, but you probably don't want to take an electric sander in with you, lol...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.