Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trees - Root Barrier

1. Back To Top    #1

Trees - Root Barrier

We have finally decided to purchase an in-ground gunite pool. The problem is that I have several trees in the area where the pool will be built. The pool company would of like to cut down one of the trees to give us more room. However, I'm very reluctant to do that. The trees are as follows:

2 Bald Cypress
    1 Pecan
    1 Southern Magnolia

I have talked with 2 different tree companies and have received contradictory information from them about the need for the barrier and the types to use etc. It seems to me that the only vulnerable part would be the decking and not the pool shell but I could be wrong about that. Here are my questions:

1)Is a root barrier needed to protect the pool shell?
    2)What is the best type of root barrier?
    3)How far away should the pool be from the trunk of any tree?
    4)Can anyone recommend a company to install the barrier?

I sure would appreciate any advice or thoughts on the subject
    Mark
    IG Gunite * White Plaster * 26'9" x 14' * 310sqft * 70' Perimeter * 9300 Gallons * 2 Main Drains
    2 Skimmers * 4 Jets * Aqua Plus Control System * Aqua Rite Salt System * C3025 Cartridge Filter
    Tristar 2HP 2 Speed Pump * H400K Heater * Phantom w/Booster Pump * ColorLogic

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trees - Root Barrier

Welcome to TFP!

Those are all very messy trees. I would position my pool as far away from them as possible.
    I would also be hesitant to cut them down, especially if they are mature, but you may regret that later, just because of the amount of junk they will dump into your pool, and not just leaves... cypress balls, magnolia pods, pecans, oh my!

Sorry, I cannot help with your other questions.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!