Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Now I'm ready to take care of my CH problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Now I'm ready to take care of my CH problem

ok, well I have my CYA at 55 and I've stabilized my FC level where I'm keeping between 7-10 for the most part. I had order some calcium chloride to fix my CH problem since it was at 180 and I have a pebble finish pool. I was surprised the CH remained steady at 180 even after replacing quite bit of water. So I tested my tap water and it was reading 120. Out of curiosity I looked up the what the Leander city water report was and it showed 210 Ca/Mg hardness for 2015 the latest report. '10-'14 showed between 165-189. So I guess the numbers probably make sense.

So back to fixing the problem. I ordered a 25lb tub of Calcium Chloride. This is huge, but by my calculations on pool math I need to add the whole thing. To go from 180 -> 300 pool math tells me 352 oz or 22 lbs. The tub says to raise a 20,000 gallon pool 100ppm add 25lbs. So I was going to add half test then add 2nd half test.

Questions:
    1) Am I off on anything I said above?
    2) Any special instructions on how to add? It just says to spread across surface. Do I grab a scoop and just start tossing it across the pool?

TIA for any suggestions.
    - Mike

19.8K Gallon IG, Pebble finish, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tristar Dual Speed Pump, DeltaUV D-80 UV Sanitizer, K-2006, Finished August 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Now I'm ready to take care of my CH problem

Your math is correct and you can just spread it across the surface and brush. It does generate heat so brushing is important but you don't have to kill your self just keep brushing till the granules are gone. Don't make the mistake I made and add to much and by to much I mean 300 ppm. I live in a warm climate too and brought the new pool to 350, by the end of the first swim season my CH rose from 350 to 600 due to evaporation. If I were you I would shoot for no higher than 250 and check again in a month or two.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

That sounds like a reasonable approach. Thanks!
    - Mike

19.8K Gallon IG, Pebble finish, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tristar Dual Speed Pump, DeltaUV D-80 UV Sanitizer, K-2006, Finished August 2016

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, 250ppm is a good number if your CH rises at all.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach