Opening up the pool again and possibly using different chemical program

May 19, 2013
I have been using the same chemical program to maintain my above ground pool for the last four years. It is called Synergy by Omni Products. The program suggests using a product called Initiator, which is a conditioner/stabilizer, at the beginning of the start up. I have read it contains boron. The manufacturer claims that less chlorine will be used over the year. My pool consists of an above ground pool that is 18' by 33'. I have and use a high rate sand filter, 1.5 horse power-one speed pump, that runs approx. 12 hours a day, a solar cover, heater, and a floating chlorine dispenser. The Synergy Program states, that only three other chemicals will be used on a normal schedule, chlorine, clear, and shock. I am considering changing the chemicals this year and possibly use borax, placed in a sock and left tied up in the pool. Borax would be my stabilizer/conditioner. I would still be using Trichlor that is a stabilized chlorine, and shock. What do use or think of my thoughts?

Welcome,

Some of our members borate their pools. Otherwise, we use Chlorine, Cyanuric Acid, and Muriatic Acid for pH control. That's pretty much all you need in most pools, most of the time. Trichlor in whatever form is fine as long as you don't overload the pool with Cyanuric, but this can happen faster than you think. I suppose you mean using borates as a stabilizer for pH?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.