Best product to enhance travertine?

Aug 28, 2016
Baltimore Md
In the process of installing Noche travertine pavers (about 1/2 done) and I love the way it looks when it's wet, I would like to enhance it but am wondering if it will make them slippery and which brands/products are recommended.

thanks

Wow! Talk about timing! I just finished loading some recent pictures onto photobucket so I could answer a similar question from a PM. My travertine deck was installed July 2015, and I waited until now to decide if I wanted to enhance and seal or just seal. Time slipped away, and my decisive tendencies are extremely slow.

I did a lot of research on sealers, but keep in mind I'm not very technical minded or handy as a DIYer. Dry Treat seems to be the best by far. Adding an enhancer was a bit trickier (can't remember why). I couldn't afford a local company certified to apply the Dry Treat to get their great warranty. (about $3,000 for materials and labor for approximately 700sf of deck) And, they want a 3 week dry period for curing - very difficult to predict and ensure that here in Houston. Finally I chose Enrich N Seal by Aqua Mix. It was recommended by a TFP member from the Houston area - I had read many of his posts and liked his thinking. (ie - he seemed smarter than me which may not be a huge rec!). The only place I found it around here was at Home Depot (luckily). It was on Amazon but more costly than Home Depot. On the instructions, Aqua Mix says : Ready for surface traffic in 12 hours; keep dry for 12 hours; achieves full cure in 48 hours. It did rain after about 24-30 hours. The rain beaded up beautifully. My son and a buddy put the sealer on - just one coat (that was about all the work I could squeeze out of them, and they were even handsomely paid!!! Kids.....). For the 700 sf, it took them about 4 hours including a couple of short breaks and quick bite of pizza. One brushed on the sealer, and the other guy followed right behind wiping off the excess (within 5 minutes to prevent hazing). It brushes on super easy (I did the samples the night before). You can also use a sponge, paint pad, or sprayer. It seemed to me the brush would waste the least. For wiping any excess off, my son liked larger pieces of t-shirts, or whole t-shirts. We used almost 4 bottles of the 24oz size.

This was done recently, March 27th, so I don't have experience to share about how it holds up. So far, we love it. It looks great, and we've had about 3 big rains just since it was sealed - all beaded up. I haven't found it slippery, but I probably wouldn't run on it. For me, I felt the same on the before sealed stones - I have a metal hip and don't take any chances running. My son says it is still not slippery. Below are some before and after pictures.

This BEFORE photo was taken about 8 months after the deck was installed. No sealer/enhancer.

I took this picture today. In person, some of the greater contrasts in the photo just aren't obvious in person. The darks aren't as dark and lights not as light - just my camera I guess. But the enhancer/sealer really brings out the gorgeous patterns in the travertine. The travertine deck/patio is a mix of Noche and Classic (a light crème) in the tumbled pavers. My coping is the Classic filled and honed.

Good luck!
Suz

Wow suz, that enhancer really gives your yard and pool some POP! The contrast with the coping really makes it a feature that stands out. You just made my decision easy to do a different color coping for my travertine!!
Beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.