Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slightly Cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Slightly Cloudy

I am getting my pool ready for first use this year. I kept it uncovered year round and was clear all year. A few days ago it began to get slightly cloudy and has remained that way. I can still see the bottom, it's just not crystal clear like I am use to. Below are the levels I took with test kit. I haven't added any chemicals since last summer other than keeping chlorine levels steady. My source of chlorine is Clorox bleach. I am just wanting to stay on top of it before I have a real problem. Temps are starting to get in the mid 80's daily so water temp is rising. Current temp is 74 fyi.

FC - 5
    CC - 0
    TC - 5
    PH - 7.8
    TA - 100
    CH - 75
    CYA - 30
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    23" Hayward Sand Filter S230T, 1.5HP Matrix Pump
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slightly Cloudy

I forgot to add that there dead pollen blooms and pollen in the bottom of the pool and I vacuumed the pool yesterday and today. So I am not sure if getting that stirred up made it cloudy and I just need to let my pump and filter run and clear it up. Currently I have it running all day and so far tonight. I back washed the pump yesterday as well.
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Your numbers are not that bad, but spring got here fast this year so organics will thrive quickly. Maintaining that FC is critical. I would consider increasing FC to about 10 just for a day or so to help with the extra organics in your water from the seasonal changes. The increase for 24 hours or so may be just what your water needs to kick into gear this spring and resolve the cloudiness. Of course if in a day or two the cloudiness does not go away, or conditions worsen, consider performing an overnight (OCLT) to see if you need to do a full SLAM. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok yesterday I raised my chlorine level to 10 and raised my CYA and CH a little as well. I tested around 7pm. Today I just tested my levels and my numbers are below.

FC - 9
    CC - 0
    TC - 9
    CH - 125
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 100
    CYA - 40

I posted a picture as well. Seems to be a little better but still slightly cloudy. I think I may be nit picking though. I still have a little bit more to vacuum out with my aquabot junior. I think as long as I keep vacuuming and keep my chlorine levels right I should be fine. What say you?

24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I would hold it higher for another day or two just as suggested and see if it helps. I don't think youre picking nits, it looks slightly hazy to me as well.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Definitely keep your FC up. It should clear up quickly because you caught it early.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok thanks

24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

We are back to crystal clear. Just waiting for the water temp to rise now. Currently at 70. Thanks for all the help!

24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Nice!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!