Order of Operations

JimJimR

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 16, 2012
Richmond, VA
I opened up the pool last weekend and have it cleaned up from deep green to perfectly clear. I checked chems this afternoon and have the following:
FC = 0
PH = 8.2
TA = 40
Salt = 3200
CYA = 0
Borate = 15
Salt is good and turned on the salt generator to supply FC. I added 4 lbs of stabilzer and will pick up 8 more lbs to correct.
My question is should I adjust the PH first or TA? They seem to contradict each other.
I will adjust borate after everything else is correct.
Any suggestions or course of action?
Thanks in advance,
Jim

HI Jim,

You'll want to correct your PH and then monitor TA. Your TA is a buffer for your PH. Normally you don't need to chase a particular TA number unless your PH isn't staying stable.......which it generally won't if TA is too out of whack.

Aimee is correct about the actions of pH and TA but I would suggest you raise the TA first......up to about 80-90 ppm.

Secondly, bring your pH down to around 7.5. This will cause your TA to fall as well but not dangerously low since you had raised it previously.

You didn't ask but I would get CYA in the pool right away and I would dose your pool with liquid chlorine up to about 5 ppm to get it started.......saving cell life on the swg.

Thanks AimeeH and Duraleigh. I put the last of my acid in last night and have to make a chem run. Will check again this AM and adjust TA followed by PH.
I did add some CYA and will add the remaining today.
Thanks again for the help!

After thinking about it, it makes sense to correct the TA first since it is a buffer for the PH. This seems similar to the CYA/FC relationship. The CYA "protects" the FC and the TA protects the PH?
Is this correct?
Thanks,
Jim

Yes you are sort of right -TA buffers and stabilises your pH levels.

The balancing act is to get your TA to a point (around 50-90 mark usually) which stabilises the pH rise and hence the need to add acid as much. However going below this mark usually crashes the pH which is obviously a highly undesirable result as it threatens the integrity of your equipment and pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.