Help!! About to give up after first test!

most likely we'll have to continue adding bottles of bleach for the next few days??? We haven't tested the CYA again yet, is it too soon? I'm haning' in, but exhausted

You guys are doing GREAT. Keep following the advice given to you by the good folks here and you'll be happy and contented pool owners in very short order. Your concerns and frustrations mirror mine of a few weeks ago but after posting 5 pages of my own perceived "overwhelming" problem and having people here repeat themselves,it all ( mostly anyway) clicked. My pool is looking the best it ever did and the pool shop is fading to a distant memory. :-D
:cheers:

Well I'm home and just tested again...

FC 5 :evil:
CC .5

Just dumped in Huge Bottle of Bleach. I couldn't believe I was at 5 after such a good day yesterday. I hope I'm putting enough of a "heaping" scoop in when testing?! I did vacuum yesterday and backwashed alittle. I had too, it was dirty! Maybe this will be the night that I'll only loose 1!

aimcahill said:
Well I'm home and just tested again...

FC 5 :evil:
CC .5

Just dumped in Huge Bottle of Bleach. I couldn't believe I was at 5 after such a good day yesterday. I hope I'm putting enough of a "heaping" scoop in when testing?! I did vacuum yesterday and backwashed alittle. I had too, it was dirty! Maybe this will be the night that I'll only loose 1!
Fingers crossed for tonight :wink:

Not so good!!!! I can't understand this.

I tested last night before bed after I dumped Huge bottle of Bleach.
FC @15
CC .5, but again almost 0

This morning...
FC 8.5
CC 0

What the heck? The water is beautiful! Does this mean there is still algae somewhere? I can't help thinking it has something to do w/me vacuuming the other day. We haven't cleaned out the basket yet (I can't do that alone). Still I wouldn't think that's it...or is it?

My husband is going to test everything again today so I'll post those results too. Except the CYA, that will be a week on Tues.

Well I'm becoming really weary! Tested again tonight...

FC 5
CC pretty much 0

Out to dump another HUGE bottle of bleach! Is this normal? We started this last weeked and have probably went thru "at least" 20 Lg. Jugs of bleach. This is getting very pricey! I'll be having to go back to the store tomorrow to buy more bleach! As much as I've read on here and all the help I've gotten from everyone...I still feel like I'm missing something. Hubby was unable to retest everything again today, but I don't think that has anything to do w/the shock levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This sounds normal to me. Keep in mind, once you are thru this phase, and you are maintaining the recommended FC levels it shouldn't happen again and you won't have to go thru this. Once you are over this issue, just be diligent in your testing and bleach additions and your pool will be trouble-free.

I know you're frustrated but I think you are getting close. :wink: Hang in there!

I brushed REALLY good last weekend because that's when the algae was on the walls and some of the floor. Then I never really had to, but when I vacuumed in the middle of the week I saw some I missed near and around the steps. So I brushed that. When I did that is when I started having the lower levels. So maybe it's still working thru. Last night I lost somewhere between 2-4 ppm (I think that's what it's called). I was too lazy to test after adding the bleach because it was really late. Tested this morning
FC 8
CC 0

Going to add enough to get it back to 12 and go from there. It was a week yesterday that we started adding the bleach so I guess that's not bad. ?. Just ready for it to level off.

I know I've kinda asked this ? before, can I have the solar cover on at night while I'm shocking??? The water is warming up so nicely. Should I take the cover off before I dump two more bottle of bleach in tonight.

Mind you this is 289 oz in one day!!!! I can't even imagine if I had an inground!

There is not nearly enough of this stuff in the TF100 kit.
Of the kits sold, less than 6% place reorders for any reagents within the first year.

After the first year, refill orders approach about 12-15% and I'm sure others find local retailers that carry it and purchase locally.

Leslies' here in Raleigh carries both products as I'm sure many local retailers do as well.

The kit is marketed to a broad spectrum of folk, many are just maintaining trouble-free pools (like me). IF you run into a problem, perhaps adjusting CYA, converting from Baq, or are fighting algae, yes, you will go thru certain solutions faster. I still have my FAS-DPD solutions from last year.

Yes, you can leave your cover on while shocking, I do. Some people say not to, but tis up to you. It may degrade faster but those things only last a couple of years or so, at least the cheap ones. I have a cheap one. I had an expensive one before and it last 5 seasons, I shocked with that one on too.

If you do have the cover on at night, I'd leave it off during the day so the sun can destroy any cc's.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.