Help!! About to give up after first test!

Your overnight loss means you still have organics in your pool. Keep shocking.

I'd bring it to shock level this morning and leave the cover off.

Bring it back to shock level this evening, after the sun is off the pool.

aimcahill said:
Meaning, get it back up to 10, is that shock level? Use the calculator and add Bleach in the morining and evening?

Yes...till your numbers are stable, then you'll get into a normal routine of just testing/adding bleach in the evening.

For today your shock level is 10. Tomorrow, raise it up according to the CYA level you added, refer to the CYA chart. If you put in enough CYA for a level of 20, then your shock level is still 10. If you added enough to reach 30, then tomorrow your shock level is 12.

Hope that makes sense.... :wink:

Okay, let me make sure I'm understanding...Until my numbers stay the same overnight I need to keep water at Shock level (according to CYA Chart). Once they do stay the same then I stay at the Target # (on CYA chart) and just maintain? But my numbers probably won't hold until the CYA (that I just added last night in sock) gets circulated? So most likely we'll have to continue adding bottles of bleach for the next few days??? We haven't tested the CYA again yet, is it too soon? I'm haning' in, but exhausted :hammer: .

You're getting it!

It's the overnight maintaining that we're looking for, and that takes the CYA dissolving out of the equasion. Our criteria for knowing when you are done shocking are:

Your FC holds overnight or you lose 1ppm or less;
your CC is .5 or less;
your water is clear.

So your FC may hold tonight, whether the CYA is done dissolving won't affect that because it will be dark. The CYA is only an issue for daytime FC loss....

Yes, it's too soon to retest. "Assume" it's there tho, and refer to the chart. Retest in 5-6 days after the addition.

You're doing great. :goodjob:

You need to continue shocking till your overnight FC loss is 1.0 or less, but you don't need to add chlorine hourly, or anything like that. I suggest adding chlorine two or three times a day at this point.

By the time you are done shocking, your CYA level will be high enough that things will be essentially normal.

Don't test the CYA level till a week after when you added CYA. But start behaving as if the CYA was all dissolved 24 hours after adding CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay my husband will put more bleach in this morning,within 1/2 hour or so. I will again tonight. When do we test...before adding, after, before bed or all of the above? I know that I need to test before bed to get the last number before morning. I pray it holds!

Oh yeah, in between the adding of bleach. We can still swim right? I think so, but just want to make sure. Thanks again (and again and again :!: )

aimcahill said:
Okay my husband will put more bleach in this morning,within 1/2 hour or so. I will again tonight. When do we test...before adding, after, before bed or all of the above? I know that I need to test before bed to get the last number before morning. I pray it holds!

Oh yeah, in between the adding of bleach. We can still swim right? I think so, but just want to make sure. Thanks again (and again and again :!: )

Add bleach tonight, and then after 30 minutes test the FC and record the result. Take another test first thing in the morning before the sun hits the pool and compare the two results.

Yes, you can swim in between. :goodjob:

Okay, I was getting ready to add more bleach and decided to test First. Here are my results...

FC 11.5
CC .5

That's not bad right? I used the pool calculator, put in shock level 12 and it said to add 3 cups and so many ounces. Does that sound right? I was surprised it did so well today w/the chlorine and we had a bad T-Storm this afternoon. Let me know what you think before I add anything.

Oh yeah, CYA dissolved. I added half of container, as recommended. I wait a week before testing CYA again. My ? is, I don't add anymore until I test it again right?

aim...not sure if anyone mentioned this to you...but if you have felt that the pool calc is not exact....if you have a 24' round...your holding anywhere from 12,500-13,500 gallons...not 15K gallons as noted in your sig....just looking out for ya...I know it's not a big diff for FC, but may come in handy when adjusting PH...etc

Gallonage is always an approximation. In a 24' round pool, a depth variation of 2" is a difference of over 500 gal. If you're always overshooting or undershooting the chems, then change your gallons; otherwise it's close enough.
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.