Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where's all my stabilizer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where's all my stabilizer?

Filled pool last year after refinishing to pebble and got CYA to around 50 (overshot some, really wanted 40).

This spring I notice the pool is consuming chlorine a lot faster than I expect. Test the water and there's basically no CYA at all. Local pool store confirmed the numbers. I don't use pucks.

By all accounts I've read, only way to rid myself of CYA would be to drain water and that hasn't happened. Virtually no rain over the winter.

Where'd it all go?
    8,000gal IG w/pebble, screened in, solar heated, including spa. Hayward cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Where's all my stabilizer?

How long has it been since the last time you tested your CYA before this last test?

Also was there any time between then and now that you have tested your water and found 0 FC?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm by no means an expert but I believe by dilution of water can make your cya go lower. If you have a leak and an auto-fill keeps filling it up, splash out and refill or a lot of rain water in the pool. I'm sure the experts will chime in but that is what I think can make your cya go away.

30,000 Gallon Pool IG (Pool 18' X 38' / Spa 7' X 7') - Pentair IC40 SWG - (1) Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Pump - Pentair DE FNS-Plus 60 Filter - Pentair Mastertemp 400 Heater - Pentair Easytouch 8 - Pentair Electronic valves - Pentair 5G Color LED Pool/Spa Lights - Pebble Sheen Mini Tahoe Blue - Auto Fill/Over Flow - Taylor K-2006C - Completion 3/2016.

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't recall but it would have been in the late summer or fall 2016. It's a number that doesn't (or didn't?) move around much so I kinda set it and forget it. The prior year I had horrible problems with CYA because I was addicted to pucks and didn't know any better. Local pool store just keeps selling pucks and my CYA was over 300. Wasted a lot of water fixing that...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have an auto-fill and AFAIK evaporation does not reduce CYA. No leaks.
    8,000gal IG w/pebble, screened in, solar heated, including spa. Hayward cartridge filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cbredesen View Post
    AFAIK evaporation does not reduce CYA. No leaks.
    It does in that you replace the water that evaporated with water that has 0 CYA. I don't think that would explain your fall to 0. If you said you tested in May, didn't add CYA and then had your torrential downpours every day it would explain some of the loss but again not enough to go to 0.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Not often, but sometimes CYA is consumed by bacteria in a pool that has been neglected (got really dirty) for a while. Do you have that condition over the winter?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School