Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sta-Rite SR400NA "gravely" noise and fault

1. Back To Top    #1

Sta-Rite SR400NA "gravely" noise and fault

Hi folks, My heater goes through the normal startup process to the point where it starts blowing hot air. Then it makes sounds like gravel is bouncing around inside and it shuts down and throws the "Service Heater" light. I'm not an expert, but does this sound like a problem with the valve system that opens and lets water flow through the heater? Thanks for all attempts to "give a haircut over the phone". All thoughts are appreciated. Video of startup and sound: https://youtu.be/-6MIm9jbQy0

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sta-Rite SR400NA "gravely" noise and fault

Welcome to TFP!

Generally, gravelly noise in plumbing indicates cavitation, which is insufficient water flow, which supports your theory that the valves to the heater are not set correctly an restrictions flow.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, pooldv. Any thoughts about the video? You can skip to 1:49 to hear the noise.
    40k gallon in-ground. 3 pumps. Natural Gas heat.

4. Back To Top    #4

Video not showing up.

I suspect that the noise is due to low water flow. The water is probably boiling.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If water flow is good, then you could have a broken bypass in the unit and or bad thermal regulator.
    Paul
    Gastek Pool & Gas Services If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. Gastek Google review,
    Check out some videos on my YouTube channel - Gastekservices on YouTube