Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plastic bits in pool - has my filter overheated?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plastic bits in pool - has my filter overheated?

Hi,

I have an im-ground fibreglass pool (with in-floor cleaning) that has just been refurbished (restored a leak). We are landscaping around pool at moment and recently returned home to see that 'no flow switch' on pool has come on salt chlorinator, and pump had automatically stopped. There was still water in the pump. The skimmer box was fairly clogged with soil and in-floor drain probably had a fair bit of soil in it, so cleared the basket, did a backwash and everything returned to normal. I've since noticed some small white plastic pieces in pool skimmer basket and floating on top of pool. Looks like melted plastic - most are really small (5mm x 2mm) with no straight edges. A couple of pieces have a straight edge which suggests they may have been a part of something. I'm wondering if the pump has overheated and a component has melted? Interestingly the pump is still running fine and can't hear any strange noises.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

H.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plastic bits in pool

Is there any way you could post some pictures?
    Also check the new landscaping material. Could it be something out of that mixture? Vermiculite comes to mind.
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Plastic bits in pool

Thanks for feedback. Here's the photo - Dropbox - Photo 31-3-17, 9 11 01 pm.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Re: Plastic bits in pool - has my filter overheated?

Is it brittle? Almost looks like calcium scale to me - maybe from the SWCG. If you put a little acid on it, does it fizz?

I've never seen any white plastic on the innards of my pump or filter. That doesn't mean that other brands than I've had don't have white parts.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

5. Back To Top    #5

No it's not particularly brittle. We have had some solar plumbing done recently so wonder if it has come from there?

6. Back To Top    #6

I can not see the pictures where I am.

Wonder if it is just pieces of PVC as a result of cutting for the solar replumb. Those little pieces fall down in the pipe when you cut and it is likely the pipes were not cleaned out before assembly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Failed to mention the solar isn't hooked up yet

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, there goes my idea
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Ham_cam View Post
    I have an im-ground fibreglass pool (with in-floor cleaning) that has just been refurbished (restored a leak). We are landscaping around pool at moment and recently returned home to see that 'no flow switch' on pool has come on salt chlorinator, and pump had automatically stopped. There was still water in the pump. The skimmer box was fairly clogged with soil and in-floor drain probably had a fair bit of soil in it, so cleared the basket, did a backwash and everything returned to normal. I've since noticed some small white plastic pieces in pool skimmer basket and floating on top of pool. Looks like melted plastic - most are really small (5mm x 2mm) with no straight edges. A couple of pieces have a straight edge which suggests they may have been a part of something. I'm wondering if the pump has overheated and a component has melted? Interestingly the pump is still running fine and can't hear any strange noises.

Has anyone experienced something like this?
    Welcome to the Forum.

I think its safe to say that these pieces aren't from your pump. You say the pump is primed and not making weird noises. A pump spitting out those pieces wouldn't act so friendly and/or have to be running run dry. besides, the filter should have captured the pieces before they made it to the pool.

You didn't say what kind of filter you have, but I would be surprised if the pieces came from that either. If you backwash or open your filter, do any more of these bits of stuff come out?

You may be able to diagnose where the bits came from by looking where they are in your system. If you found bits in the pool only, then they either fell in the pool from outside or somewhere between your filter and the pool.

Any chance they are leftover shavings from when they did the pool remodel?

Also, if you fill out your signature, others can get an idea of your installed pool and equipment.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the welcome and that feednback! I'll look into those theories and report back. I visited my pool store today and they didn't think much of it - suggested it was more likely to be calcium than anything else. Could well be part of the pool shavings as it was a fairly big overhaul, but strange I didn't see them earlier (as has been full for a few weeks now).

H.

11. Back To Top    #11

Seein the pictures Im leaning to shavings. If it's mostly calcium it will react to pool acid like MA.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem