Plastic bits in pool - has my filter overheated?

Hi,

I have an im-ground fibreglass pool (with in-floor cleaning) that has just been refurbished (restored a leak). We are landscaping around pool at moment and recently returned home to see that 'no flow switch' on pool has come on salt chlorinator, and pump had automatically stopped. There was still water in the pump. The skimmer box was fairly clogged with soil and in-floor drain probably had a fair bit of soil in it, so cleared the basket, did a backwash and everything returned to normal. I've since noticed some small white plastic pieces in pool skimmer basket and floating on top of pool. Looks like melted plastic - most are really small (5mm x 2mm) with no straight edges. A couple of pieces have a straight edge which suggests they may have been a part of something. I'm wondering if the pump has overheated and a component has melted? Interestingly the pump is still running fine and can't hear any strange noises.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

H.

Is it brittle? Almost looks like calcium scale to me - maybe from the SWCG. If you put a little acid on it, does it fizz?

I've never seen any white plastic on the innards of my pump or filter. That doesn't mean that other brands than I've had don't have white parts.

I can not see the pictures where I am.

Wonder if it is just pieces of PVC as a result of cutting for the solar replumb. Those little pieces fall down in the pipe when you cut and it is likely the pipes were not cleaned out before assembly.

I have an im-ground fibreglass pool (with in-floor cleaning) that has just been refurbished (restored a leak). We are landscaping around pool at moment and recently returned home to see that 'no flow switch' on pool has come on salt chlorinator, and pump had automatically stopped. There was still water in the pump. The skimmer box was fairly clogged with soil and in-floor drain probably had a fair bit of soil in it, so cleared the basket, did a backwash and everything returned to normal. I've since noticed some small white plastic pieces in pool skimmer basket and floating on top of pool. Looks like melted plastic - most are really small (5mm x 2mm) with no straight edges. A couple of pieces have a straight edge which suggests they may have been a part of something. I'm wondering if the pump has overheated and a component has melted? Interestingly the pump is still running fine and can't hear any strange noises.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Welcome to the Forum.

I think its safe to say that these pieces aren't from your pump. You say the pump is primed and not making weird noises. A pump spitting out those pieces wouldn't act so friendly and/or have to be running run dry. besides, the filter should have captured the pieces before they made it to the pool.

You didn't say what kind of filter you have, but I would be surprised if the pieces came from that either. If you backwash or open your filter, do any more of these bits of stuff come out?

You may be able to diagnose where the bits came from by looking where they are in your system. If you found bits in the pool only, then they either fell in the pool from outside or somewhere between your filter and the pool.

Any chance they are leftover shavings from when they did the pool remodel?

Also, if you fill out your signature, others can get an idea of your installed pool and equipment.

Thanks for the welcome and that feednback! I'll look into those theories and report back. I visited my pool store today and they didn't think much of it - suggested it was more likely to be calcium than anything else. Could well be part of the pool shavings as it was a fairly big overhaul, but strange I didn't see them earlier (as has been full for a few weeks now).

H.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.