Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Two pool lights fighting

1. Back To Top    #1

Two pool lights fighting

Good evening,

I recently replaced the bulb in my spa. Hooked everything up as before. When I turned on the spa light it worked beautifully. Then I turned on the pool light and both lights went out. I went to my Gfci in the outlet box and reset it.

I then turned on my pool light and it worked beautifully. Upon turning on the spa light simultaneously they both went out and another reset was in order.

What I have found is that each light works alone but as soon as I try to do both the Gfci needs to be reset. What could possibly be happening here? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Two pool lights fighting

What type of lights do you have and do you have automation?
    16x32 modified L, 512 sq ft, 15,000 gal gunite pool. 20ft 24" raised bond beam tiled with NPT lightwaves aquamarine. 3 color LED 24" Sheers by cmp called wonderfalls. 500 sq ft of Kool deck. Pentair equipment, Intelliflo VS 3HP, 420 CCP cartridge filter, Easy touch 4 w/IC40 SWG and wireless remote. 1 globrite and 1 intellibrite 5g pool light. Plaster will be Stonescapes mini pebble in aqua white. TF100 test kit and future dolphin robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Rl,

You just changed the bulb, but you say you "hooked everything up as before"???

If you just changed the bulb, what did you have to hook up as before.???

Please tell us exactly what it is that you did to change the bulb..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

No automation on the lights. Just a simple switch to turn them on or off.

The light is an underwater luminaire for swimming pool wet-niche number v-614675.

To change the bulb I unscrewed the fixture from the wall, removed the bracket holding the fixture together, removed the gasket, took out the tiny light bulb, replaced the bulb, put gasket back in place, re attached the bracket and then screwed it back to the wall with the one screw.

- - - Updated - - -

I will also add that the bulb went out about 9 months ago and i barely replaced it last Saturday

5. Back To Top    #5

Rl,

Well that blows my theory that you mis-wired something..

If it worked before and all you did was replace the bulb, I can't think of anything that would cause the problem you are having...

If this were my set up, I'd open the junction box and make sure all the wire nuts were tight and that nothing was growing on the inside and that it is dry...

Sorry but it is a puzzle...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just my two cents, did you replace the gasket or did you use the same one? Since this clamp holding the light fixture that goes over the gasket is so tight, it creates an permanent indentation in the gasket. It is almost impossible to fit the gasket exactly in the same position and to have a perfect tight seal. This allows water to leak in and moisture might be affecting it. I did this mistake when I changed my first light bulb years ago as the gasket looked good to me but it seems we only get one shot with the gasket. I had to let it dry, then put a new gasket in.