Help-still a newby

Hello, I have read this blog since last year and THANK YOU sooo much for all the help! Chemistry was not my best subject, lol, but I am trying. I still remember Avogadro's number, oh goshhh I don't have to calculate moles do I ? LOLOLOLOL

I bought the Taylor kit that was mentioned and right now I am having issues with TC and high alkalinity.

Numbers are: 270 AK, pH-7.5, FC-0! water is slightly cloudy.

I can see the bottom, but not pristine and clear. I did vacuum and we do have high pollen now due to the pool being under a live oak, and though I have covered the pool, some still blew in by the ladder. (Need to clean filter again, I'm not able to , on hubby's to do list tonight.)

I am using bleach as my chlorine, and not using a stabilizer ( had lots of issues with CYA and ended up wrecking the liner and starting over 2 years ago)

If I understand the pool school teaching correctly, I should add more muriatic acid? how much for such a high AK ratio? my pool is a 15 x 48 round AG, so that would be 4248 gallons, right?

Help all! Tell me whatever I am doing wrong.
PS we installed an acrylic dome over the pool this past weekend, so I am hoping that will help with Mr. Oak also. Love the tree, hate pollen season.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

Ignore the TA (ALK) for now and ignore the pH for now

You are doing a lot of the right things but just not enough of it.

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School You will learn that CHLORINE is the most important measurement for your pool and you have NONE.....that's not good.

You need to SLAM the pool but to do so effectively you will want about 30 ppm of CYA in your pool. You cannot do without it.

We would love to see a picture of that acrylic dome. it will influence how we tell you to proceed. Regardless, you will need a TON of chlorine and 30 ppm CYA and we will help you every step of the way.

Welcome to TFP!

If you have zero CYA in your pool you are much more likely to wreck your new liner than if you have a proper amount. How did CYA wreck your liner?

Some good news though, no you don't have to mess with moles. Unless one burrows under your pool.

ohhhhhhh ok.:eek: So I need to shock and wake up the chlorine. can I use Lithium hypochlorite shock? or can I just use the bleach?

I'll take a pic of dome, what I already like about is that when it rains, no more bailing the tons of water on the cover off before I use the pool. Figures we put it up and it has not rained yet LOLOL but summer storms are coming in Florida where it rains every day. An average rain storm by me is a foot of water on the pool cover. The tree frogs cannot quite get in either. oh the parties they held in our pool!
I did try plastic floating snakes for that last summer. Ha ha froggies!

- - - Updated - - -

ohhhhhh duhhh just reading the pool school on slamming. I did well in reading LOL so let's see 6.02 x 10 to the 23 moles... lol

Hey all, well I did the slamming and it got the TC up to .5. Need to get more bleach today and continue until acceptable level. I did the acid demand test and added muriatic acid over the last few days and today WOW! the water it is pristine and clear!! oh my goshhh I've got every single piece of oak pollen is out, yeah! Please don't let the tree frogs know. lololol

On the CYA, what initially happened was that we had a green pool and kept going to a retail pool store, who 'tested" our pool water and sold us more chems. Eventually the CYA level was too high, and still green and then the liner wrinkled (which now I know was due to PH level being too low) and we had to drain the pool and get a new liner. It was a mess. I would have never figured out the problem until I found this site.
It was really awful, our pool looked like Love Canal. No mutant frogs though. lol
So therefore, I am rather skittish about using any CYA; however, I see by reading that it stabilizes the chlorine level. ps we were using hockey pucks at that time.

Personally if I had to add some bleach every day, I would not mind. Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.