Signs that a liner needs to be replaced

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hi. I am a little worried about the location of my AGP. Based on my backyard and where the deck is and the powerlines the only spot for the pool is about 7 feet from my house. My house has a basement so if one day the liner burst I think I would have a flood. I guess I'm wondering how many years I should expect out of a liner and signs for when to replace it to avoid problems. I'm a little uneasy that one day it will burst and explode water into my basement.

If it makes a difference I got this liner from pool supply world in 25 Mil.

Swimline Pool Liner - Unibead Pacific Diamond Above Ground Liner

Liners can last a very long time. My former above ground pool's liner is 16 years old this season and still going. The likely scenario is that it will leak but not burst. If it bursts it's likely because the wall has failed. If installed correctly this is very unlikely (unless a tree falls on it or something dramatic). A family member had a pool that was 24 years old (original liner!) and the walls started to rust though at the very bottom (small holes, maybe the size of an eraser head). Even with this they didn't have issues and replaced the pool after several years with these holes. The worry was that the liner would leak at these sites but it was okay. Check the integrity of the pool wall when you open, mid summer, and upon closing (especially at the bottom where it's often damp from dew or splash out from the pool). If you have a leak fix it (no big deal) but if they are frequent and unexplained then it's something to really keep an eye on.

You can also call your homeowner ins and ask what is and is not covered. If you're not covered for that type of flood you can typically add coverage. Just tell them you have a pool and what if it breaks and floods your basement? Policies are very explicit as to what is covered. Where/how water enters is sometimes a fine line in a policy. Is it from the ground beneath the floor or a storm and it comes through your basement window can make a difference. Is it due to a sump pump failure etc.

great idea about the homeowners ins. they said there isn't anything specific to a pool. It depends on how it happened. there's no specific coverage I can add. Maybe I'll try someone else. good questions to ask. this woman didn't seem like she knew that much

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.