Green pool, excessive chlorine

Re: Green water gone, now cloudy

what about CC levels?

I know it was suggested that once they are .5 or less your generally good, but
I had to test mine a few days in a row till it was consistent. By that point
(at least for the slam i did 2 years ago) it's a matter of the filter clearing it out.

With the main drain fully open it took about 3 days to go from cloudy to sparkling clear
running it 24/7.

Re: Green water gone, now cloudy

My suggestion would be to continue the SLAM. Let's go with the CYA of 70 which would make your FC SLAM/shock level a "28". Anything under 28 could explain why you are seeing "some" slow changes, but not as much or perhaps taking longer. Maintain the FC of 28 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria (clear water, pass the overnight (OCLT) test, and CC no more than 0.5).

Once you pass the SLAM, I would re-validate your pH level to ensure it's not any lower than what you last tested. Good luck!

You're doing really good. Keep topping that FC up to 28 and please go ahead and record the time, FC, & CC on your tests today and tomorrow and post them - let's see how much FC you're going through and if CC is still 1 or more. All the expiration dates on the k-2006 okay? Please store that indoors, out of the sun. It's a good test kit and the chemicals don't really like big temperature swings. In and out to test is okay, but protect your investment. Don't spill chemicals inside, they do nasty things to counters and floors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still seeing visual improvement? More blue? Less cloudy? Fun note: A clean filter has that nice new clean filter low PSI on your pressure gauge. As the filter collects the particles that are clouding your water, the filter starts to dirty and slightly clog. The pressure will rise. Pool School explains when to clean your filter based on PSI change. It is important when you are in the "get rid of the cloudy stage" NOT to clean the filter prematurely. As it partially clogs on the way from clean to dirty, it will catch even more of the really small stuff that is causing the cloudy. A slightly dirty filter cleans better than a fully clean one. That being said, once your PSI reaches the "clean" reading, you need to clean it to maintain the appropriate gallons per minute through it for it to effectively filter. So don't hose the filter/backwash/whatever more than you have to. If your pressure gauge doesn't work, it's like $8-20 bucks, either from tftkits or any big box hardware store or plumbing place. You should take a look at the ones tftkits sells and see how they only go to 30psi, which is ideal for pools since we deal in very small differences and want to be able to see them clearly. I was impatient and bought mine for a few bucks less at a hardware store, and it goes to 60. Not a problem, but not as easy/fast to read those small changes.

Perfect! Keep up that shock FC and keep your filter running 24/7 to get the cloudy cleared up as fast as possible. Brushing and/or vac when you can.

Even a crystal clear pool will lose 2-4 FC a day as it is consumed by sunlight and breaking down organic material in your pool. Until you get a good read on your pool's daily FC loss, daily testing and adding is best advised. Later you could go to every other or every few days. Some people that don't use their pool often or have maintained their pool a long time achieve a once a week test and add. A pool during a SLAM that has even more work to do and drops FC so fast we encourage multiple test & adds per day until you pass all three SLAM criteria.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.