Pump burned?

MDP

May 17, 2013
Hope somebody can help.

After cleaning my pool yesterday I started the pump and I inadvertently pressed the "AUX 1" switch at the same time ("AUX 1" switch is for the the spa aerator that we never use). The pump stopped working (it did humming for few seconds and then nothing happened) . I think I smelled something. Tried to start the pump few times but no luck. Put the pool on "service" mode immediately and left it like that whole night.

When I tried to start the pump this morning again, it did humming for few seconds and again completely quiet. I saw smoke coming out of the pump (from the middle of the pump - where the motor and the pump casing joins - not from the back of the pump or from the top where the capacitor is there).

Any idea what could be wrong? It's an AOSB2979 (A.O. Smith 2 H.P Round Flange Dual Speed) pump and I just replaced it in October (five months ago). Do I need to replace the whole pump or the capacitor or anything else?

I got an automatic control system, could something inside that be wrong?

Thanks so much for your kind help.

Thanks James for your quick response.

Hmmmm, about the wiring -- I did exactly the same as the older pump. If if it were misswired - do you think it would run for 5+ months?

Thanks again James.

Yeah, that could be the issue. Since I pressed the Aerator switch on while the pump was also on - and that could mean high and low got powered at the same time - right?

If the motor is burned, do I have to replace it or there is a cheaper way to rework this?

What automation do you have?

You might be able to file a warranty claim on the motor.

If the wiring is correct, high and low should not be able to be powered at the same time.

Dear James,

It's an "AquaLink RS by Jandy" control board. Sending you some photos - hope these help. Again - the pump ran perfect for ~ 5 month; I am thinking it burned when I pressed the "AUX1" switch while the "Filter" switch was ON. Just checking if replacing the pump will be a good option - otherwise in case something else is wrong, then just installing the new pump may not help? What do you think?

Thanks again in advance.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 31

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Aux 1 should not have had any effect on the pump. Did the wiring get changed in the box?

Did the new motor get wired exactly like the old motor?

It might be worthwhile taking the motor to an electric motor shop for evaluation.

Thanks again James and sorry for the late response as I had some other pressing honey-dues :)

No, nothing got changed in the box. And the new motor got wired exactly like the old motor. Please note that it ran for 5 months very well - with no issues at all. I am really puzzled what exactly caused the issue.

I spoke with the store - they will replace the motor. But again - I am thinking what if something else is wrong?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.