Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Costa Rica Swamp

1. Back To Top    #1

Costa Rica Swamp

Hola from sunny, hot Costa Rica, My AQR15 Hayward Aqua Rite w/ 40K TurboCell SWG controller has apparently "died"...the control unit has no green lights at all, although there is power to the block and the fuse is OK.

Starting to get a green bloom and will be switching to chlorine tablets. I've only done this once several years ago, when we hadn't been here for a few months and our "pool boy" had gotten sick and left us without service or knowledge there of.

If I remember, at the time, I shocked the pool, added granular chlorine and tabs to the Pentair Rainbow 300 Off-Line Tablet Chlorinator. I seem to recall that I got rid of the "green" and let it sit for about a week with the pump running on a regular cycle, but with the SWG turned off. Once all that seemed OK, I went back to the SWG.

Only minor problems with Black Algae since, but it was under control until this happened....now we've got black and green

Advice sought, as I will be leaving in a week and want to leave it on Chlorine until we return in July. Will probably leave it on Chlorine until December as the rainy season here makes it very hard to keep up with the salt

TIA
    Richard

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Costa Rica Swamp

Welcome to the forum Richard!

How long will you be there to get it lined out?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Welcome to the forum Richard!

How long will you be there to get it lined out?
    Thanks Patrick, I have one week to straighten this out. We leave the house for NJ one week from tomorrow (Wed March 29) and have renters in for a week starting a week from Friday on the 31st.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have been using a pressure washer with a turbo nozzle to get the remnants of black algae off my walls. Have to get very close for it to work. I would recommend a good dose of liquid chlorine (ideally using numbers from a test kit) or cal-hypo if LC isn't available, at least it won't add CYA like pucks will

28' long x 14' wide by (3.5' shallow ends, 4.5' 1' into pool in middle, 4'9" at main drain) deep in-ground pool plaster surface. Hayward Super Pump C48L2N134B1 1 1/2 HP, Hayward Star Clear Plus Cartridge filter C1200. Jandy Caretaker 5-port. Tf-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

This will be tough if its anything like I'm picturing, most certainly the black Algae. Can you tell us more about the pool, and what sort of testing and Chlorine sources you have at your disposal Richard?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem