Converting PPM to pounds of gas

BPKlein

Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Lake Dallas, Texas
Hello,

Long time lurker...first time posting. I have been using the TFP methods for 2 years now.

I am in the process of converting my 36,000 gallon in ground pool over to salt, and maybe I am overlooking some basic chemistry/math.

I know that I have seen a table that will calculate the SWG settings to give me a staring place, but I can't find it. Or, can someone give me the equation? For example.... 3ppm in 36,000 gallons equals how many pounds of chlorine gas? Then knowing the SWG output and runtime, I should be able to get pretty close.

Thank You,
Bryan

You can actually use PoolMath in a reverse sort of way to figure it out by setting the ppm you have now and what you'd like it to be. You can also use "The effects of adding chemicals near the bottom to figure it out.

I'm confused as to why you are worried about pounds of gas??

If it's to determine the size SWCG, you really don't need it. Buying a unit that produces the same amount of chlorine you are currently using will result in having a unit that is too small. You really want to look at units rated for about double the total gallons of your pool, or in your case I would say 70-80k units (or using two smaller units).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.