making the jump to SWG this year!

ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
first off, HAPPY SPRING TO ALL! my pool made it thru the winter and did not die on me! :kim::kim::kim::kim:

ok, so I am probably going to learn lots of new stuff concerning a sand filter/swg set up...but the main thing is that I am not going to have to lug jugs all summer and breathe harsh chemicals while I upkeep my pool...I have copd, so that is vital to get away from sooner rather than later...I got a small little intex combo set up as I am sure my pool only has a few more seasons in it, so I spent about the same for this set up as I would have for chlorine and filters this season...might learn a lesson, might find that it is fine...we shall see! I will likely do something a bit better when this pool gives up the ghost and I have to replace it...this is all just a learning curve right now.

this is what I purchased, so hopefully it will do the trick...it is only hubby and I swimming, no trees, mainly bugs and some dirt to deal with ... I am hoping to even out my levels so that they don't drop so low between chlorine readings when it is super hot out.

Intex 2800 GPH Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump and Saltwater System

anything that people would like to toss out for me to be watching for and learning is always appreciated!

happy swimming (or preparing to swim) all!

:shark::swim::snorkle:
I am also adding a skimmer to make vacuuming a bit easier hopefully!

Well look at you! I am so happy the pool lives on! I know how much you enjoyed it last year once TFP got a hold of it!

Looks like you added some fancy fencing around it and the deck is pretty spiffy as well but.............where is the gate for the steps??? Looks like an invite for a small one to run up and into the pool weeeeeeeeeee!!!!! but oh so scary if they do it when no one is out there with them.

I look forward to hearing what you learn about your SWG. That is my next step once I can convince my hubby it will not rust out the pool....you know how salt=rust with metal :roll: one day he will come around! LOL

Kim:kim:

We actually don't have any little ones anywhere near us, it's just me and the hubby now... our yard has a 6-foot privacy fence all the way around it in addition to the pool fence... the pool fence was added because we just got a dog in August and she's still pretty much a puppy and wants to jump all over everything so we figured it was better safe than sorry and went ahead and spent the money to put the new fence up. We will be building a gate to put across the front of the stairs to keep her off of the deck when we're not out there and she's loose in the yard

- - - Updated - - -

So far the dog has shown no inclination to jump into the pool but we did get her in there one time right when we got her last year in August and she seemed to enjoy it so we're hoping she likes it and wants to swim with us but if not that's okay... I have resisted the swg myself due to the rusting issue... but I've talked to a few people who have told me that it really doesn't trust any faster than just regular pool water and rain... the key is to go around a couple of times a year and look for any spots where your paint is chipped and make sure to get those protected so that the water doesn't get to the metal underneath

- - - Updated - - -

Right now most everything I'm doing is kind of an experiment on the lowest level so that when this pool gives out and I upgrade a little bit I will already have some knowledge and be able to do the right thing from the get-go... my pool made it through the winter with nothing more than some leaves and a little bit of dirt on the bottom but the water was still clear as a bell as long as I didn't Stir It Up

A doggy!! I wanna see a picture please! Pretty please!! That fence will save you all kinds of aggravation with her-no digging by/under the pool, no running into the hoses and equipment. GOOD idea!

Who made the deck? That looks nice. The lattice under it is a good finishing touch!

My husband built the deck all by himself after drawing it out on a napkin and giving me a list and asking me if we could get all of that stuff... he also put the fence around the pool for me and we just had sand livered and laid down Garden ties and piled sand all around it... the dog has actually been pretty good about not jumping on the pool and actually makes a conscious effort to avoid it when her toys are headed that way but if we're in the pool I'm worried that she'll jump on it trying to get to us and end up puncturing it with her giant claws!FB_IMG_1490052851020.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

FB_IMG_1490052810656.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

FB_IMG_1490052839458.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

These are all from last year when we first got her...

- - - Updated - - -

Her name is Baibee. :)

How big is she now?? SO CUTE! Love the smile on both of their faces!

If your hubby has those kinds of skills I bet he has tools. See if he has a dremel tool and a sand paper barrel for it. You can train her to let you use it on her nails instead of clippers. I found the nails are not as sharp when done this way. I used peanut butter to train my dogs to it. My hubby laughs when the dogs see the dremel tool! They start wagging their tails and RUN to the kitchen tile where I do it and lay down holding their paws up for me to work on. LOL

She has grown up so much already! "Yes I am on MY couch! See? It has MY couch blanket on it!" I see the kennel by it. Are you finding you need to use it as much any more?

The side by side pics of hubby "Dude SMILE for me!" and he did! Love it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We use the kennel when she has to be left outside alone because she likes to dig and chew things and I can't risk her getting ahold of the power cords or the siding on my house... she only gets to be loose in the backyard if we're back there with her for right now. For the most part she is an inside baby

oh...duh...you meant the inside kennel...lol - she has never used this one at all, we got it so that if she passes out, hubby can nap and not worry about her waking up and getting into trouble before waking him up...we do have a larger one in our room that she sleeps in at night. we live in a gated/kennel community these days! LOL

How old is she now? Looks like a lab x ?? bully?

The lab part will mean gated/kennel for about 2 more years......bully could help shorten that time some but then again maybe not LOL I loved my lab AFTER he was 3 yrs old. You could not give me another lab puppy !!!!! or any puppy for that matter. All 5+yrs old for me now!

we actually did a doggie dna test on her because she was a rescue from a high kill shelter and was 3 months old when we got her in august...she will be year in may... the rescue group told us she was a boxer mix, and her dna test showed that she is mostly boxer, with secondary amount of lab, and then a sprinkle of st Bernard and greyhound...she runs like a greyhound for sure...can't even catch her once she gets going! we have a very large backyard thankfully and she can get s good run going! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.