OB doing my own plumbing

Dec 10, 2016
Austin, TX
So I have my forms up and pool dug. Forms -Approximately 16-24" above grade all around. I plan to back fill and match the height with a tall concrete deck after the forms are off.

All of the forms bracing is in the way of plumbing. I am thinking of just running my plumbing out of the forms and then connecting them together with cheap 1" pipe for pressure test. Then after Gunite, remove the forms, then plumb everything to the equipment pad.

What do you think?

Also, my return loop, I am tempted to run that in the bond beam or bench (that circles the pool), so I don't have to deal with the form bracing.

Is there a problem with that? The last pool I built, I put the return loop under my decking.

Thanks

5cd93e99debb90a8780c8d9159896faf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My plumbing guy did all the plumbing except for the pool equipment before gunite (hooked up to a manifold for pressure testing).

He ran the returns in the bond beam.

He also used a blow torch, I believe to curve pipes so as to not require any more joints than necessary (and in the bond beam pipe it was able to just follow the pool curve).

The plumbing line item for me wasn't that expensive ($2000), but it doesn't seem that complicated either.

I'm actually installing a pool slide now and tempted to just due this plumbing myself.

I would say that somewhere around 85% to 90 % of pool builders do not run lines in the pool walls. First, it results in a marginally weaker pool wall. Second, its more complex to build and therefore costs more. Most run through the walls and then in trenches. The plumber trenched once for his lines and for the electrical.

Best practice (and required in some states) is a pressure test of all rough plumbing prior to gunite.

Go back and look at the pictures in build threads over the last year.

Here you apparently have rock so that creates other issues and running in the walls may be the best option.

All rock...... in fact, there are no seams in the rock. The pool holds water as is.

My problem is that I am building up to the pool edge. I have a bench that circles the entire pool. I was thinking of putting the return loop in that and plumb similar to a drain-less pool with the slit returns aiming down.

I plan to pressurize the lines, but not all the way back to the pad until the forms are removed and fill is brought in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.