Hello from Arizona

O-man

Mar 16, 2017
Gilbert, AZ
Hello, I'm kind of new to pool ownership. Been in our house with built-in pool for just under 2 years. In that time I've tried doing the service myself and also having a professional service do it for me. Both seem very costly. And it was a struggle to keep the water clear and in balance doing it myself. So we just drained, scrubbed and refilled out 10,000 gallon pool to start fresh. So I'm joining this group to learn more and help decide if I should try taking care of it again myself, now that I'm starting fresh with new water, or if I should go ahead and let the pool guy take care of it for me.

Let me start with a hearty WELCOME to TFP! You can absolutely take care of your own pool the TFPC (Troublefree Pool Care) way for much, much less than paying a pool service or doing it yourself "assisted"/robbed by your local pool store. No doubt.

Best approach is to check out this page in Pool School (link at top of screen). https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

Then venture further into Pool School. Read that page above twice a day for three days. HA! It does take some time for the learning curve to be overcome, but once the light bulb goes off, you are all set.

TFPC is based on testing yourself with a proper test kit, understanding what your pool needs, and only adding that which is needed to it. Test kit: https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

Saving you the trouble, I'd recommend the TF-100, XL option and Speedstir. You can't go wrong with that combo.

As a starter question, do you have a saltwater chlorine generator? Or know what one is? I won't assume you do. But if so, there is one other test to purchase. The K-1766 Salt test.

You've found the best place to help you manage your pool. Ask as many questions as you'd like, we just ask for people to be engaged and learn the process. As long as pool owners take an active role in learning the process, you will be overwhelmed with the support you receive from the forum users.

If you can fill in your signature with your pool specifics (see my signature for some thoughts on what to include) then we can all see that information each post and provide the best support possible. Edit Profile link (where you can add a signature on the left side): https://www.troublefreepool.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Nice signature! So just to give you one specific thing to begin thinking about, we advocate using either bleach or a SWCG to chlorinate your pool. Any other method gives you too much accumulation of other chemicals which can be bad. In the long run either one is about a wash cost wise. A SWCG is much more convenient though.

I'll leave you alone for now to digest Pool School. Let us know when you have specific questions.

HI!! OH my are you going to love it here! Your wallet will much fatter that is for sure!

Okay so you say you have brand new water. Have you added ANYTHING to it yet? Let us know so we can get you started in setting it up.

Please go ahead and order a test kit. Yeah I know the pool $tore will test your water for "free" but is it really free when you walk out of there with $$ worth of stuff and your water still does not look good????

Here at TFP we have learned through exhaustive testing with the science behind it how to manage our pools with most of the stuff needed coming from Target or Walmart!!!! Here is a link to show you what I mean:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Now go give those cute doggies a chewy for me!

Kim:kim: