Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Arizona

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from Arizona

Hello, I'm kind of new to pool ownership. Been in our house with built-in pool for just under 2 years. In that time I've tried doing the service myself and also having a professional service do it for me. Both seem very costly. And it was a struggle to keep the water clear and in balance doing it myself. So we just drained, scrubbed and refilled out 10,000 gallon pool to start fresh. So I'm joining this group to learn more and help decide if I should try taking care of it again myself, now that I'm starting fresh with new water, or if I should go ahead and let the pool guy take care of it for me.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Hello from Arizona

Let me start with a hearty WELCOME to TFP! You can absolutely take care of your own pool the TFPC (Troublefree Pool Care) way for much, much less than paying a pool service or doing it yourself "assisted"/robbed by your local pool store. No doubt.

Best approach is to check out this page in Pool School (link at top of screen). https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...ater-chemistry

Then venture further into Pool School. Read that page above twice a day for three days. HA! It does take some time for the learning curve to be overcome, but once the light bulb goes off, you are all set.

TFPC is based on testing yourself with a proper test kit, understanding what your pool needs, and only adding that which is needed to it. Test kit: https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...its-comparison

Saving you the trouble, I'd recommend the TF-100, XL option and Speedstir. You can't go wrong with that combo.

As a starter question, do you have a saltwater chlorine generator? Or know what one is? I won't assume you do. But if so, there is one other test to purchase. The K-1766 Salt test.

You've found the best place to help you manage your pool. Ask as many questions as you'd like, we just ask for people to be engaged and learn the process. As long as pool owners take an active role in learning the process, you will be overwhelmed with the support you receive from the forum users.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

If you can fill in your signature with your pool specifics (see my signature for some thoughts on what to include) then we can all see that information each post and provide the best support possible. Edit Profile link (where you can add a signature on the left side): https://www.troublefreepool.com/prof...do=editprofile
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the tips and recommendations! I do not have a saltwater chlorine generator.
    10,000 gallon, in-ground, Pebble-tech surface
    Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed 2HP pump
    Hayward Cartridge Filter (holds 8 big pleated cartridges)
    Full sun most of the day, shaded by trees after about 3 or 4 pm
    3-5 ft depth, 2 main drains

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Nice signature! So just to give you one specific thing to begin thinking about, we advocate using either bleach or a SWCG to chlorinate your pool. Any other method gives you too much accumulation of other chemicals which can be bad. In the long run either one is about a wash cost wise. A SWCG is much more convenient though.

I'll leave you alone for now to digest Pool School. Let us know when you have specific questions.

6. Back To Top    #6

HI!! OH my are you going to love it here! Your wallet will much fatter that is for sure!

Okay so you say you have brand new water. Have you added ANYTHING to it yet? Let us know so we can get you started in setting it up.

Please go ahead and order a test kit. Yeah I know the pool $tore will test your water for "free" but is it really free when you walk out of there with $$ worth of stuff and your water still does not look good????

Here at TFP we have learned through exhaustive testing with the science behind it how to manage our pools with most of the stuff needed coming from Target or Walmart!!!! Here is a link to show you what I mean:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Now go give those cute doggies a chewy for me!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit