Complete Pump Change Suggestions

Nov 15, 2016
Houston, Texas
Hello- Over the next few days, I need to completely replace an old Blue Haven SmartMax Star Pump 2.7/.33; 2.5/.30 MRHP 1.10 SF (SP3220X252BH)

What are some of the options you'd suggest?

Many thanks in advance.

23,000 gallons, IG-Plaster, Spa, Hayward Cartridge,

TH,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool questions. :super:

I am an unashamed Pentair kind of guy. In my opinion, the "Gold Standard" for pumps is the variable speed 3 HP Intelliflo. All the other pumps are almost as good... :p

Just as a reference, I run my pump at 1,200 RPM most of time, 24/7, for less than $20 per month.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hi, welcome to TFP! A google search on SP3220X252BH pulled up a Hayward tristar pump. Any of the major pump manufacturers will give you a good quality pump, the question is what all does the pump need to do? Do you have water features such as fountains or waterfalls, roof top solar heating, bubblers, pool slide, or deck jets? Do you prefer a single speed, 2 speed, or variable speed motor?

Hi Zea3- Great questions. Outside of spa overflow into the pool, there's not really much that I'll need the pump to do. The past 2 years, I've used it on single speed and that seemed to work perfectly fine but I'm open to options. Is there anything in particular that you'd suggest? I'd prefer to stay under $600 but I understand the investment, if needed. Thanks again!

If you were happy with the performance of your old 1 hp pump I would go with something similar. If you don't plan on installing an automation system I would go with a 2 speed 1 hp pump from any of the major brands. I would not go bigger than a 1.5 hp pump. A Hayward may fit in your plumbing layout without too much alteration to the existing pipes.

I see that the utility company in my area does have rebates on pumps, but it looks like it has to be installed professionally. That sucks. I'll have to do more research or open a pool service company :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.