Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green pool now cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Green pool now cloudy

My pool was green and smelled like swamp water. I balanced the ph and added liquid bleach. 4 gallons. The water changed colors almost immediately but now it's super cloudy.

Ph 7.2
    Al 60
    Th 110
    C 4
    CA not readable

help!! I've added stabilizer in a sock to my skimmer
    Robin Inground pool 25000 gallons outdoor gunite Hayward sand filter Taylor 2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green pool now cloudy

Ok, time to do this, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought I did. The readings on my chlorine turned bright orange.
    Robin Inground pool 25000 gallons outdoor gunite Hayward sand filter Taylor 2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

That link leads to a process to follow. Not just a one time addition of chlorine.

If you want the long version for some extra light reading, that is here,
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Rvirgil1,
    the slam is a process, not a one time shot. Here are the step by step instructions.
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

The cloudiness is a good thing. That's what happens when you pour bleach into a pool full of algae. The cloudiness will get lighter and lighter as you continue the slam process, until you finally finish and your water is crystal clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvirgil1 View Post
    I thought I did. The readings on my chlorine turned bright orange.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Rvirgil1 View Post
    My pool was green and smelled like swamp water. I balanced the ph and added liquid bleach. 4 gallons. The water changed colors almost immediately but now it's super cloudy.

Ph 7.2
    Al 60
    Th 110
    C 4
    CA not readable

help!! I've added stabilizer in a sock to my skimmer
    Welcome!

If that was 10% chlorine you added 13ppm to the pool. Were your test results before or after adding the 4 gallons, and what test kit do you use?

How much stabilizer did you put in the sock?

As already mentioned, the pool needs a proper SLAM. Ask any questions you might have, but remember that the most important part if the SLAM is to Maintain that FC level until you pass all three criteria to end the SLAM. You will not believe how clear the pool water will be when you are done.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

You need a better test kit. Your test kit seems to be lacking functions. I suggest the TF-100 avail thru TFTestkits.net $70, but will save you a fortune in the long run, I promise!

Please tell us:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

We need those levels to determine what you have and where you need to be.

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

8. Back To Top    #8

I guess I better invest in one.